Is this carb missing something?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSimon

Reaction score
This is on a 1998 Johnson 25HP tiller.

Admittedly, I know very little about carburetors. This one appears to be missing some sort of cover. You can see right inside and see the little flipper thing that moves when you pull on the throttle cable.

I wasn't sure, so I checked my 1980-something 30HP Johnson and it looks identical.

Are they both missing the cover, or is this normal?

I've never tried to start either motor and now I'm afraid to try.

photo.JPG

Looks like it is missing the slow speed idle screw in front. But I don't think this model came with an air silencer over the carb

Here is an 88' 25hp carb that is missing nothing, see the slow speed screw in the front on top
DSCN6356.JPG

And here is a 30hp 88' carb from a different angle
DSCN6465.JPG

Some model of omc carbs have a fixed brass jet others have the adjustable needle. hard to say since the pic looking down on it and not straight in the carb. Looks like it has some kinda adjustable needle on the side that has the linkage. Not sure if that's what it is but it could be.

Looks just like my 2k Johnson 25 did. Idle adjustment was on the left side of the carb looking at it head on. No cover on my carb either.