Help Pricing a Motor to Sell

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clinton78

Reaction score
I'm new to this. I've got a few things that I don't plan on using for my project. The biggest item is the motor.

It's a 1976 Johnson 55 hp. It's got electric tilt on it, Johnson Shipmaster throttle controls, and steering cables about 14-ish feet long. As of a few years ago, it worked. I think the last time it was used was 2009 by my uncle.

I'd like to move all the stuff in the pic in one shot, but I was wondering about the motor with the steering controls. Is it worth $50 or $500 or what?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 246
I'm in the same boat (pun intended, haha). I'm selling a 71-72 Johnson 50hp with controls and cables in unknown condition for $300 and cant get rid of it. About to part it out.

Not being a smart a$$, but "ran a few years ago" means "does NOT run" to the average buyer, unless it is set up so they can make it run. I get calls on my motor all the time asking what might be wrong with it... My add clearly and repeatedly states unknown and untested, but they ask anyway. If you can get it running and can show the customer that it runs, you can double or triple that price. Problem is, it might cost you that to get it to run...

From the description that you gave above, I would say $250 to $400. Towards the lower end or less if it has been in saltwater...
Also depends on where you live. I have noticed that motors 100 miles north of me tend to sell for 25% more than motors 100 miles south of me. Guess where I get my motors? 8)

Latest posts