Johnson 15

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBooth

Reaction score
I have a 06 Johnson 15 that I have noticed has "good days" and "okay days". I have had it sense late december and have loved it however I have noticed that it seems to preform differently sometimes. It never sounds bad or runs bad but sometimes it seems like I go faster and have better hole shot than I have previously with the same load and vice versa. Is this normal? It is a two stroke so could it be a oil mixing problem or carb problem? Thanks

Could be a spun, slipping prop or intermittently running on one cylinder.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Could be a spun, slipping prop or intermittently running on one cylinder.
Thanks for the comment! I don't think it is something as major as the cylinder, it only has around 30 hours on it and the prop seems fine.

I know it gets warm and muggy down your way..

Outboards lose power during times of heat and humidity..

Mgraff00 said:
Something floating around in the carb or fuel tank
Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I was thinking.
Canoeman said:
I know it gets warm and muggy down your way..

Outboards lose power during times of heat and humidity..
Canoeman, thanks for the reply. Why do they lose power and is there a way to prevent or lesson the impact of that?

This was copy and pasted from: Mercury marine FAQ

mercurymarine said:
Why does my boat perform differently on a hot day versus a cool evening?

It is a known fact that weather conditions exert a profound effect on power output of internal combustion engines. Therefore, established horsepower ratings refer to the power that the engine will produce at its rated rpm under a specific combination of weather conditions.

Corporations internationally have settled on adoption of I.S.O. (International Standards Organization) engine test standards, as set forth in I.S.O. 3046 standardizing the computation of horsepower from data obtained on the dynamometer, correcting all values to the power that the engine will produce at sea level, at 30% relative humidity at 70 deg.F (20 deg.C) temperature and a barometric pressure of 29.61 inches of mercury.

Summer Conditions of high temperature, low barometric pressure and high humidity all combine to reduce the engine power. This, in turn, is reflected in decreased boat speeds--as much as 2 or 3 miles-per-hour (3 or 5 Km per-hour) in some cases. Nothing will regain this speed for the boater, but the coming of cool, dry weather.

In pointing out the practical consequences of weather effects, an engine--running on a hot, humid summer day--may encounter a loss of as much as 14% of the horsepower it would produce on a dry, brisk spring or fall day. The horsepower, that any internal combustion engine produces, depends upon the density of the air that it consumes and, in turn, this density is dependent upon the temperature of the air, its barometric pressure and water vapor (or humidity) content.

Accompanying this weather-inspired loss of power is a second but more subtle loss. At rigging time in early spring, the engine was equipped with a propeller that allowed the engine to turn within its recommended rpm range at full throttle. With the coming of the summer weather and the consequent drop in available horsepower, this propeller will, in effect, become too large. Consequently, the engine operates at less than its recommended rpm.

Due to the horsepower/rpm characteristics of an engine, this will result in further loss of horsepower at the propeller with another decrease in boat speed. This secondary loss, however, can be regained by switching to a smaller pitch propeller that allows the engine to again run at recommended rpm.

For boaters to realize optimum engine performance under changing weather conditions, it is essential that the engine have the proper propeller to allow it to operate at or near the top end of the recommended maximum rpm range at wide-open-throttle with a normal boat load.

Not only does this allow the engine to develop full power, but equally important is the fact that the engine also will be operating in an rpm range that discourages damaging detonation. This, of course, enhances overall reliability and durability of the engine.

Canoeman said:
This was copy and pasted from: Mercury marine FAQ

mercurymarine said:
Why does my boat perform differently on a hot day versus a cool evening?

It is a known fact that weather conditions exert a profound effect on power output of internal combustion engines. Therefore, established horsepower ratings refer to the power that the engine will produce at its rated rpm under a specific combination of weather conditions.

Corporations internationally have settled on adoption of I.S.O. (International Standards Organization) engine test standards, as set forth in I.S.O. 3046 standardizing the computation of horsepower from data obtained on the dynamometer, correcting all values to the power that the engine will produce at sea level, at 30% relative humidity at 70 deg.F (20 deg.C) temperature and a barometric pressure of 29.61 inches of mercury.

Summer Conditions of high temperature, low barometric pressure and high humidity all combine to reduce the engine power. This, in turn, is reflected in decreased boat speeds--as much as 2 or 3 miles-per-hour (3 or 5 Km per-hour) in some cases. Nothing will regain this speed for the boater, but the coming of cool, dry weather.

In pointing out the practical consequences of weather effects, an engine--running on a hot, humid summer day--may encounter a loss of as much as 14% of the horsepower it would produce on a dry, brisk spring or fall day. The horsepower, that any internal combustion engine produces, depends upon the density of the air that it consumes and, in turn, this density is dependent upon the temperature of the air, its barometric pressure and water vapor (or humidity) content.

Accompanying this weather-inspired loss of power is a second but more subtle loss. At rigging time in early spring, the engine was equipped with a propeller that allowed the engine to turn within its recommended rpm range at full throttle. With the coming of the summer weather and the consequent drop in available horsepower, this propeller will, in effect, become too large. Consequently, the engine operates at less than its recommended rpm.

Due to the horsepower/rpm characteristics of an engine, this will result in further loss of horsepower at the propeller with another decrease in boat speed. This secondary loss, however, can be regained by switching to a smaller pitch propeller that allows the engine to again run at recommended rpm.

For boaters to realize optimum engine performance under changing weather conditions, it is essential that the engine have the proper propeller to allow it to operate at or near the top end of the recommended maximum rpm range at wide-open-throttle with a normal boat load.

Not only does this allow the engine to develop full power, but equally important is the fact that the engine also will be operating in an rpm range that discourages damaging detonation. This, of course, enhances overall reliability and durability of the engine.
That is very interesting and definitely has something to do with my motor. Thanks a lot!