1996 Force 9.9HP impeller question (video included!)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOUSE

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My boat sat in my garage for a year while I worked on it and I just fired it up this week for the very first time. Believe it or not, the 2-stroke started up on the first pull (pheeew!). After running it on idle for 10 minutes I rev'ed it a few times and finally got the smoke to clear out. However, I noticed the impeller just isn't spitting out very much water. Also, the water that is coming out is very hot. Is that normal? I looked around on Youtube and other Force motors really spray out some water when they are in gear. I didn't want to put mine in gear to find out, though, since I'm testing it in a garbage can.

Can you tell from this video if there is anything to be concerned about? I'm not sure if it will help, but I was planning on running some Seafoam through it with a few gallons of gas before taking it out on the lake this week.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

ps. Here's a Youtube video of a 1985 Force 9.9hp motor running for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if4ax38h7GM

-House

On both my 25 Johnson and my 40 Tohatsu, the water coming from the midsection outlet is quite hot as well. I think, though I'm not sure, that the water coming from that area is from when the thermostat opens up after the OB is up to temp. Both of mine have a tell tale though, and I am guessing that yours does not? It looks like yours isn't spraying as forcefully as the reference video to be sure, but it does look like it's getting decent water flow.

I know that impellers can dry rot after not being used for an extended period. If you can get the parts and change out the impeller/ water pump, do it. For the peace of mind if nothing else.

Hey, thanks for the reply man. I called a local marina and they are going to let me bring my boat down and dunk it in the water for 10 bucks and look at it. The guy made me no promises, but he said he's worked on Force outboards before and thinks he should be able to tell if it's a bad impeller or pump, etc.

I wouldn't mind learning how to do it myself, though. I've never dropped the lower unit out or anything else like that so I'm going to go check youtube again, :)

*update: wow, I found an impeller replacement kit online for 15 bucks and the video doesn't look that hard. I might give it a shot just to learn some more stuff about my boat. It looks like the potential screw-ups are not spinning the impeller fins the right way and losing the alignment pin. Thanks again for all of the advice guys. I'll make a video if I do it.

Latest posts