Motor not getting fuel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I just rebuilt a 1962 15hp Sea King, very similar to Johnson/evinrudes.

After pumping primer bulb motor runs great until it loses fuel. I need to squeeze the primer bulb a few times to keep it going. I can hear bowl in carb filling up with fuel during priming.

Things I've done to help narrow problem...
-Used two separate fuel tanks, primer bulbs and fuel lines, new connectors as well.
-Cleaned carb, retested then rebuilt and cleaned carb again. There are no adjustments to be made inside the carb right? All adjustments come from high and low speed knobs? The float needle had a brass/bronze threaded coupler that I assumed was just a housing for the needle. I just hand tightened it, everything else is properly assembled according to parts diagram
-Cleaned fuel pump twice including fuel filter
-Disconnected fuel pump fuel out line while motor was running fuel was pulsating out. Not sure if it's a weak fuel pump or not.
-Tightened all fuel hose collars to ensure no air leaks.

So far I'm leaning towards fuel pump any ideas how to test it?

I may have figured it out.

Its not the fuel pump, Its the fuel line before the fuel pump and after the fuel quick disconnect fitting...that or the quick disconnect fitting itself which i doubt...I held my finger over the quick disconnect fuel out port and squeezed primer bulb, it holds with no leaks. The line i have on there now is 3/8" ID and the fuel line before quick disconnect (from tank with primer bulb) is 5/16". Im thinking as the diameter steps up it creates a loss of flow or an airlock or something.

Ill purchase some 5/16 fuel line tomorrow.

Latest posts