Can some one give the run down on a Johnson QD-10

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swaldo14

Reaction score
I just got a 55 QD-10 was told it ran I was wondering what I should do first to make sure that it will hopefully start, It has compression! what are the two carb adjustment and where I do set them to start out with? I know I'm being vage but any pointers on this motor would be a great help! thank you

I've got a 57 that runs like a top covered in ky jelly, suppper smooth. shoot me an email addy and I'll send ya the condensed manual with all the specs, settings and etc

First and foremost...that engine MUST be run on a mixture of no less than 24:1 fuel/oil mix..... I don't care what Billy Bob or Bubba tell you!
Second.....service the engine completely and you will have an engine that is just about bulletproof if you run it sensibly and take care of it. The water pump should be serviced. The gearcase oil should be checked, changed, and probably re-seal the gearcase. The ignition system should be checked, updated as necessary, and set. The carburetor should be cleaned and a new kit, including a new float, should be installed. From this point that engine is a real bear power wise and a pleasure to run.

Thanks alot guys, so I went to the lake to try her out all seems good I got her started third pull good deal right! now the bad will not go into foward gear unless i move the spring notched bar over a can rotate handle more forward then goes in gear but that wont allow but quarter throttle on the the carb mechanism. I know i didn't expian it right but any help would be nice on how to set shift lever/shaft thanks

I sure did 24:1 21oz to four gallons. the Manual calls it the shifter lock if i hold the shifter lock out a push the shifter knob foward more then allowed by the lock it will go into forward gear but then the shifter lock doesnt let the throttle open up by jaming the armature plate so how do i get the shifter realined for proper throw?

From the sound of it you may need to see if the shift rod is in the connector properly. Should be a plate on the side of your exhaust housing that you can remove with two slotted screws. Inside you will find a brass connector with two 1/4" bolts. That holds the vertical shift rod from the shifter to the vertical shift rod from the gearcase. There is a machined groove in the rod from the gearcase that has to line up with the lower screw when installed in the connector. Sometimes this is done improperly. Good time to replace the impeller while doing this check. Very easy to do.

Well I opened up the window now how do I check the shaft what needs to be pulled for this I ordered a impeller today this is my first boat motor repair so I'm really green to it I also print off the service manual that was sent to thanks again

Remove the lower screw on that brass connector and then the gearcase can be removed. While removed look at the shift shaft and you will see that annular groove cut into it at the top. That groove lines up with the hole in the brass piece and the screw goes back into the hole and effectively locks the shaft into place. While off, check the gearcase shifting. Pull up on the shaft and it should go into gear. Down and it should go into gear as well. The driveshaft will be easier to turn while the water pump is removed. Also check the gearcase oil while off. If milky you will need to reseal the gearcase.

Latest posts