Susuki outboards????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Redmond

Reaction score
Been reading posts on outboards in here for a year or so.Never hear about susuki outboards,,are they oddball or finicky or something along these lines like parts hard to find ect.....looking at purchasing an outboard in the 15 to 20 hp range since I sold my 15hp yammy last sumer,,,n still sory I did,,,,cant quite make up my mind,2 cycle or 4,theres a serious weight difference between the 2 of them and gasoline consumation as well, thats quite the debate,,,,just awfull curious about the suzukis tough since theres a dealership of these where I go fishing,,,,,

Always nice to have a local dealership that handles the brand of engine you are running. Support them when you can!
In freshwater there is nothing wrong with the older 2-stroke Suzuki engines. They do quite well. As far as parts go they will be a little harder to locate parts for unless your dealership supports them and the used parts market is pretty slim. Performance wise they are about as good as anything else on the market.
Personally, I have no desire to own and operate a 4-stroke. Acceleration-wise they feel like me leaving a stop light in 3rd gear in my Jeep. Pretty boring. As far as fuel usage goes they are more efficient but at the horsepower range of engines we tend to use around this forum.....who cares! If you look around you will find many more posts in here with carbs plugged up than anything else. This simply means someone doesn't burn the fuel they purchase fast enough anyway.

Obviously Pappy you have never ridden in front of a big bore Suzuki four stroke. My dad has been running a 200 Zuki on his 22' Blue Wave for a while now. No problems at all and all the power you want and then some.

Either that or you havent ridden in a 200-225 2-stroke!
Funny how you don't see 4-strokes at the top of outboard drag racing.................
We measured torque on a production 3-litre 225hp Evinrude around 1989 and found that it delivered a whopping 425lb/ft. of torque - as much as a fairly healthy 454 Chevy of the same era.
The simple fact is that if you have two engines of similar cu. in. and one is a two stroke you will always have the benefit of not dragging a piston and rod for an entire revolution and not producing power. You absolutely cannot argue physics and parasitic drag no matter how many "Yeah, buts" you come up with!
Ever see the video of the 2-stroke Evinrude going transom to transom with the 4-stroke Yamaha and pulling the Yamaha 4-stroke underwater and sinking the boat?
That, my friend, is power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-7I00cZUE0

What cannot be successfully argued against is how quiet they are and how smooth they run. No argument there!

That Yamaha outboard is nowhere near a 150 Hp !...maybe a 70 Hp or so...what do you expect ...70 Hp or so vs 150 Hp ?...(we all know that decals are easy to peel and replace... :D )...so that test "by" Evinrude doesn't prove too much.... :---)
Dan

What ever dude. I have been in a Bullet running a 260 horse Merc 2.5, a true 90+ mph bass boat. I have yet to see an Evinrude on a truly fast boat, all been Mercury.

Again I ask have you had any dealings what so ever with a Suzuki outboard? That big Suzuki on the back of a big boat is rather impressive.

DanMC said:
That Yamaha outboard is nowhere near a 150 Hp !...maybe a 70 Hp or so...what do you expect ...70 Hp or so vs 150 Hp ?...(we all know that decals are easy to peel and replace... :D )...so that test "by" Evinrude doesn't prove too much.... :---)
Dan

I did see the 150 markings on the Yamaha towards the end, only an idiot or an Evinrude stock holder would do such a thing.

Evinrude currently holds both the single engine world speed record as well as the 1/4 mile drag record.....how's that for fast Evinrudes? Again, phyisics comes into play in that any other manufacturer of the day did not have the bore/stroke ratio and the physical port area required to make the horsepower necessary to run at the straightaway speeds that the Evinrude did. I am happy, however, that you have had the chance to run in at least one pretty fast boat. Incredible rush isn't it!

DanMC said:
Dan

70hp huh :lol: That would be the biggest **** 70hp motor I have ever seen. Now I am not going to say it couldn't have been rigged in some way because that is just the reality of advertising. But a decal change or engine cover swapped? I don't think so.

chattahoochee said:
What ever dude. I have been in a Bullet running a 260 horse Merc 2.5, a true 90+ mph bass boat. I have yet to see an Evinrude on a truly fast boat, all been Mercury.

Again I ask have you had any dealings what so ever with a Suzuki outboard? That big Suzuki on the back of a big boat is rather impressive.

Unless I missed something that 2.5 merc is a 2 stroke so what are you saying here? #-o

Any 200hp motor is going to be impressive, period. But the 2 stroke will out perform a 4 stroke (same HP rating) do to simple physics. Power on every stroke versus power on every other, it really does not take a scientist to figure out what motor is capable of performing better. Now I am not saying the Suzi is not impressive because anything in the 200hp range is going to put out.......well 200hp :lol: The difference is how and when it is put out. I would be willing on any day to race any well built 2 stroke against any well built 4 stroke of the same HP. This will most likely change as technology advances in 4 stroke engines but as of now I would take the 2 stroke.

Just for the record, we had a large (24-26' or so) Boston whaler at our company with late 80's to early 90's twin 175hp 2 stroke Evinrudes on it and that thing was a beast out of the hole and wreckless at WOT. Plane scary if you weren't paying attention. Well the salesman forgot to fill the oiling system and seized one of the engines. We replaced them with brand new 2006 175hp Merc 4 strokes and the mercs couldn't hold a candle to what the Evinrudes could do. They were nice and quiet and great on fuel though. But the awesome roar and performance of the 2 strokes was gone :cry: Top end wasn't to far off but holeshot was not even a comparison to the 2 strokes that were almost 20yrs older

DanMC said:
Dan

What is there to say when confronted, head-on, by sheer mass intellect at this incredible magnitude. I bow to your overall knowledge of all things outboard, sir !

Qoute " Johnson Baby" Unless I missed something that 2.5 merc is a 2 stroke so what are you saying here? #-o

What I am saying is I know what a big bore 2 stroke feels like also.

Yes incredible rush, nothing but 2 blades of the prop in the water.

I'm obviously not a merc fan but I would not pass up a chance to ride in a boat with one of those 2.5's :mrgreen:

:roll: Funny how a question about a 15 to 20 hp suzuki can end up 200 n some odd horses over the question asked.talk about far out in the left field,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mike Redmond said:
:roll: Funny how a question about a 15 to 20 hp suzuki can end up 200 n some odd horses over the question asked.talk about far out in the left field,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well, the only experience I have with a Suzuki is a 200 hp, I shall refrain from answering you in the future.

The post was and I quote "Susuki outboards????" So I don't see why a 200hp suzi doesn't count? #-o

I have a 1987 Suzuki DT6 thats not hard to work on and does really well on my 1236 ouachita. Parts are easy to get and compared to johnsons and mercs are about the same price. I got the owners manual from browns marine I think it is and have replaced the impeller and some different odds and ends that needed to be taken care of. I have no complaints about mine except that I dont get to use it often enough. It even has a rectifier on it for charging batteries that I had to install but all I had to do was get the rectifier and plug it in and build a mount for it, the wires were already there. Nice little motor.

I have a 87 dt25 and it has treated me very well. The only thing I hate about it is that to change the thermostat you have to pull the head bolts. I dont know if they changed that but I feel like thats a pretty Poor design. I run my boat pretty skinny and injest a ton of crap. It gets to be pretty anoying.

Oh if you shave the head .01" and run a thin head gasket they move pretty good :wink:

And it is one of the most powerful 25's I have run.

Latest posts