18 hp /69fastwin steering????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken 6645

Reaction score
Hello to all.....While working to get this old motor up and running, I found a round hole just below the elbow that looks like a slot for a screwdriver...I tried to turn it with a S.D. but not very hard...Anyone have any ideas?? Also is this grip supposed to return to a shift [or idle] position automatically, or stay where it is when you release it [grip]...I've got a 69 owners manual but it doesn't tell me much....
thanks
Ken
so much to do ,so little time to do it.......

I believe the throttle should not return to idle when releasing it. And I am not sure what you are talking about on the elbow? Pics are worth a thousand words :D

i have a '60 and a '67 18hp and both will return to idle automatically if im not mistaken, but i usually dont just let go of the tiller, wouldnt advise it either..... [-X oh yeah, and +1 on the pics thing, i could probably help u but i am unsure of what you are talking about on the hole thing...

Huh I wonder if it has to do with age and wear? Or were they just designed that way? None of my 80's johnsons do this

Ken 6645 said:
Hello to all.....While working to get this old motor up and running, I found a round hole just below the elbow that looks like a slot for a screwdriver...I tried to turn it with a S.D. but not very hard...Anyone have any ideas?? Also is this grip supposed to return to a shift [or idle] position automatically, or stay where it is when you release it [grip]...I've got a 69 owners manual but it doesn't tell me much....
thanks
Ken
so much to do ,so little time to do it.......

Please look at this link. It has a breakdown of your tiller control handle. Please make sure that there are no missing components.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1969&hp=18&model=18902B&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Lower+Unit+Group

39891.gif

Please check to see if item 100 or 101 are missing. If both are present then 101 friction grip block maybe worn out and need replacing.

Also, please make sure the lever control (part #34 in diagram below) is secure to the power head with parts number #31 and 32. These are the control lever clamps, if they are loose then it will allow slop in the control lever movement.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1969&hp=18&model=18902B&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Powerhead+Group

39894.gif

thanks for the replies and the exploded view of the tiller steering .After releasing the grip the throttle backs down a little
thanks
Ken

Latest posts