75 johnson 25 hp question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dman23

Reaction score
Stupid question but never really worked on any sort of motors.

Doubt my carbs have ever been cleaned. Motor does run great even after a winter stored and no stable type winterization it started up great and in 3 times out ran good. Last year i just stopped using it and let it sit. I did nowever throw the old gas and start over this year.

Should i clean them and if so would it help get even more perforance and run even better? Would it be something i can do? It does run great but idling isnt the greatest. Wasnt last year when we bought it wither. I have ran seafoam this year the last 3 times out with approx 1 1/2 hour runtime this year.

Like i said it runds and starts great just wondering if im missing something i dont know i could have because i just know how it works now. But it wont idle to troll, it likes a little extra gas. Idles in nutral but once it goes in gear you have to give it a little gas and runs smooth after about 4 mph no issues

If it doesn't want to hold an idle you may have some crud in the carb or it could be old plugs. If you haven't put in new plugs id go that route first then clean the carb..

Before tearing the carb apart try adding some sea foam to your fuel.

I have seafoam in my gas now already. Well see how it goes after running it more as its only got about an hour run time with the seafoam.

If i wanted to, is cleaning the carbs juat for the heck of it something i could do with no experience? If so how is it done and is it easy? If so and it would be even somewhat benificial i might.

you can get a carb kit for that motor for under 30 bucks, get the kit and slap it on, well clean it really good first then do the it and after flush it with some good gas. its not difficult to install floats,seals etc.....if your memory is even fairly good,take it apart and put back together the same way and thats that. oh and im not implying that you have a bad memory or lack of anything, just trying to explain that its not hard even for someone who has never did it. if you want snap some pics as you go along for a reference in case you do forget something. now you should have no carb troubles for a few years at least, besides adjustments. but once you get the rpms and high and low idle set do not try and squeeze performance out of it thats not there and your good to go.......have you checked your filter on your fuel pump? looks like a screen. if it is clogged any that will give you headaches if u think its the carb and you keep trying to fix it to no avail....for that 30 bucks you can get a service repair manual that is worth its weight in gold if you want to do basic maintnance such as impeller, water pump, fuel pump etc and save you a lot of money and lost time on the water having your motor in the shop. my .02 cents...good luck

btw, just saw ur alumacraft mod. sweet! if you can do that you can do your carb in your sleep, nice job on the boat, love the floor although i may have did it a hair bit different, that being said my way may not be better than urs but either way thats one hell of a job!

Shawnfish, thank you! Yeah i love how it turned out. I think everyone would do something a little different, but in the end i think most all of us improve our little boats so much from how they were, that it works out. After fishing in it a couple times i know it is every last bit how i wanted it. Thanks to this forum!

It never hurts to do a carb rebuild and clean after it has sat for a few years but it could be something as easy as the slow speed idle screw needing a little adjustment in the front of the carb or dirty filter like what was said already or even just needing a little seafoam? Start with the cheapest and easiest stuff first and go from there. Carb rebuilds on these engines are a piece of cake and there are plenty of us here that are more than willing to help you through it if need be :)

Where is the filter??? Yeah... Im that motor dumb. I have other expertise, just not motors

It should be on the starboard side of the motor (right) attached the the block by 2 screws and it is in the fuel pump housing. Just unscrew the flathead bolt in the center circle cover and check the screen........ looks like this. Just check the screen to make sure it is clean. Do not remove the screen or diaphram if all is clean.

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1979/25R79R/FUEL%20PUMP/parts.html

Johny, is it this thing your talking about? (the closeup picture) or if that isnt it, theres the whole side. I got that link you sent, but i am just so motor dumb i dont know my a$$ from a hole in the ground haha.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337304480.489665.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337304480.489665.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 1,032
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337304501.975102.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337304501.975102.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 1,032
Yes that is your fuel pump, just unscrew the big screw in the center and the screen should be right behind the plastic piece. And are you sure you have a 1979? That motor looks early to mid 70's to me..... #-o

Edit: Sorry I am got confused :lol: I am involved in too many threads and lost track of what motor was what :oops:

Here is the correct diagram for your 1975.... Not sure where I got 1979 from?
https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1975/25R75B/FUEL%20PUMP/parts.html

Its a 75. So to get at the screen i just have to take that one screw in the middle off?

Dman23 said:
Johny, is it this thing your talking about? (the closeup picture) or if that isnt it, theres the whole side. I got that link you sent, but i am just so motor dumb i dont know my a$$ from a hole in the ground haha.

yes thats it, loosen that brass colored plug/knob and the filter is inside the black part..

Dman23 said:
Its a 75. So to get at the screen i just have to take that one screw in the middle off?

yes, thats all... my motors ur motors 5 yr older brother and one and the same

Yeah just loosen the screw and the plastic cap will come off with the screw attached. The screen will be behind the black plastic cap. Get some paper towels under it to catch the fuel that will spill out.

shawnfish said:
Dman23 said:

yes, thats all... my motors ur motors 5 yr older brother and one and the same

correction......5 yrs younger, mines an 80....

Latest posts