Mercury 25 HP Outboard Motor used need help/info

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper02

Reaction score
Listed for $1000, haven't called on it yet, sounds like some kind of marina since they take credit cards.

It says quote: "complete with controls. It is for remote steering."

I see no controls in the listing. It doesn't look like a Tiller type. Wonder if i would have to get a control box and steering wheel on my own. My boat is rated for a 30 HP. its a 16' 1989 MonArk.

This Mercury is a Long shaft. which also i have no clue as rather i need to be looking at a long shaft or a short shaft either. How would i tell what i need? or is it preference?

Also would this be a decent deal? I have been toying with the idea of making a basic console over a tiller type. Seen some posts on here with building your own console doesn't seem to bad.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/3010629726.html

First off measure your transom. Usually they will be either 20" (requiring a longshaft) or 15" (that should have a short shaft but you can run a longshaft it just causes more drag and sits really low in the water). It surely has the controls but they are just not shown in the pic. And I highly doubt there is a steering wheel with it, that is something you will have to buy. The motor does look nice on the outside but that could be due to a recent paint job or just a good cleaning. $1000 is not bad if the motor is in EXCELLENT running condition. It is almost 30yrs old remember. Ask them what the compression is.

Thank you! for the info on short vs long. I'll do some measuring then go form there. If i had to guess right now, i would probably say mine is going to have to be short shaft, but i will double check.

I just been trying to keep my eye open on a good used motor while i do work on the rest of the boat.