1979 Evinrude Tilt Lock

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PikeSlayer

Reaction score
This site has become my favorite place to go on the net when I've got a couple quick minutes to kill or need advice. Thanks to your help on this site, the motor I got with my boat went from not even starting, to running like a CHAMP! I need to call on you all again to help me out with what should be a simple issue, but is proving to stump me yet again (not hard to do ;) )

I cannot figure out how the heck to lock my 1979 Evinrude 25hp up for landing. There is a small latch on the transom mount that will lock the motor down for operation, but I can't find anything that will lock it up when I'm launching the boat. My dad and brother both had Mercs when I was growing up and they just had that little "L" shaped lock on the side of the lower unit that you would overcenter to hold it up. I don't see anything like that on this motor. Any help would be great. Thanks again!

On my 8hp F'n rude, there is a little lever on the starboard side of the motor towards the back and under the cowling (not inside the cowling). Or maybe it's right under the shifter which is on the starboard side. Might not be able to see it until you lift the motor up. I pull my motor up and pull the lever. To let the motor down, I just lift the motor up a little and the lever unlocks itself and I can ease the motor down.

If you can, take some pics up close from a couple different angles.

Hmm well it doesn't look like the 79' came with the locking assembly? The shallow water latch is part number #76 in this diagram but I do not see a lift lock assembly like my 88' has.
https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1979/25R79R/EXHAUST%20HOUSING%20-%2025/parts.html

look at this parts diagram of an 84' and part numbers #113 and #115. I don't think they put them on in 79' and only put them on some of the electric start models in the early 80's by the looks of it.
https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1984/J25RCRD/MIDSECTION%20-%20ROPE%20START/parts.html

Get us some pics maybe, they are worth more than 1,000 words :)