Anyone know about older Evinrude's?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticwhiteGT

Reaction score
So i bought my jon and the guy threw in an old Evinrude outboard. He said that all it needs is a new impeller, and he gave me the new impeller. I had to do some research to find out what the specs were on the motor, and after some research I was able to find out that it is a 1964 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 HP. Has anyone had any experience with these? Is it worth fixing or would I be better off selling it for parts and getting something else? Any insight would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks!

put the impeller in, them old johnny/rudes are great motors that are easy to work on and parts are everywhere. my buddy has a 63 evinrude fisherman(i think thats the model) on his little 12ft jon and it is reliable as they get.

Ok, awesome thanks. I looked up some reviews about them, and it seems like as long as you keep maintaining them, they will run forever. I'm just hoping that it really is just an impeller and not something more serious. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but im planning on checking it out this weekend.

The old JohnyRudes will run forever as long as you have a good 2-stroke gas/oil mixture and water being pumped through. Replacing the impeller is the first thing that should be done whenever you buy a used motor. A good carb rebuild/clean is a good thing to do as well. Parts will run you like $20-$30 and its minimal labor.

Unless you know exactly what your doing, if you start tearing it apart--you should take lots of pictures to help you put it back together. I usually take a part off, snap a pic... take another part off, snap a pic... take another off, snap a pic... and so on. I try to set everything down in order I took them off too. Its much easier to know exactly what your doing when you pay attention to the details, because if you miss any 1 thing--you can spend hours back tracking to figure out where you went wrong.

Bigkat650 said:
The old JohnyRudes will run forever as long as you have a good 2-stroke gas/oil mixture and water being pumped through. Replacing the impeller is the first thing that should be done whenever you buy a used motor. A good carb rebuild/clean is a good thing to do as well. Parts will run you like $20-$30 and its minimal labor.

Unless you know exactly what your doing, if you start tearing it apart--you should take lots of pictures to help you put it back together. I usually take a part off, snap a pic... take another part off, snap a pic... take another off, snap a pic... and so on. I try to set everything down in order I took them off too. Its much easier to know exactly what your doing when you pay attention to the details, because if you miss any 1 thing--you can spend hours back tracking to figure out where you went wrong.

good advice! you can probally find a service manual too for around 20-30 bucks. scratch that, go to marineengine.com and they have yours for free to print, just make sure you have the model #. should be a small plate near the motor mount with the model stamped on it. good luck...

I have a 1958 Fastwin. I had to invest some money in it, but the thing is bomb proof and runs like new. My mechanic says it should last another 50 years!

shawnfish said:
Bigkat650 said:

good advice! you can probally find a service manual too for around 20-30 bucks. scratch that, go to marineengine.com and they have yours for free to print, just make sure you have the model #. should be a small plate near the motor mount with the model stamped on it. good luck...

oooops.....sorry, its not the manual, but the parts diagram and that will still be very helpful in taking apart and putting back together any part on your motor.....

Thanks for the responses guys! I found a guy nearby that is certified to work on evinrudes and he has been doing it for something like 16 years, so I am going to take it to him this weekend and see what he has to say. hopefully, [-o< its going to be a cheap fix. But time will tell. I'll keep you all posted on what he says.

So I wound up taking the motor up to the mechanic to see what all it needed, and he said that it needs a new impeller, the carb needs cleaned, and it needs a new lower seal. He said that all together, it would be about $200-$250 to fix, but good news is that running, it can pull between $600-$800 if I ever decided to get rid of it. So I think im going to get it fixed next week and take it out for a test drive. :D

Impeller and carb cleaning and it will be good to go huh! At $200 its not that bad, but honestly both those things area simple things to do and do not take much more then a little patience and a simple socket and screw driver set. I've never done a lower seal, but I cant imagine its too hard. I figure the actual parts would run you $50 or less, maybe a little more with some decent marine grease.

As far as it being worth $600-$800 in good mechanical condition--I would say that figure is a little high, unless it's fully restored or the original paint and decals are in amazing condition. In fair visual condition and good mechanical condition, I wouldn't value it at any more then $300-$400. Remember there are ALOT of old evinrude's and johnsons around, and they last as long as they are not abused. Maybe in a store front you could ask $600 for it, but i'd never pay that for one. Of course, in your area they may be worth more then in my area, but I still think those figures would be a stretch.

Really though, that's not the point. What matters ultimately is that you have a strong running motor to have some fun with that will be reliable for years to come if properly maintained.