lower unit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
will someone please tell me if a lower unit for a 78 johnson 25hp will fit on a 80 johnson 25hp? ive heard answers from a ton of people with a 50/50 yes and no answer. i have a chance to buy one that is a factory original still in the box for about 800.00 dollars cheaper than they want for one that goes on my 80 that is now obsolete and you can not get them. mines fine but it would be worth every penny if i had something go wrong with mine wich i doubt ever will (1 owner and well taken care of) but i want it!!! please please please, i already know the part#'s dont match but ive had OB mechanics say yes and no(different shops).....there has to be somebody who has a definite yes or no, maybe someone who put a 78 on a 80?

That should be the same. To be sure look up the part numbers for both lower units and see if they match.

jimdd810 said:
That should be the same. To be sure look up the part numbers for both lower units and see if they match.

i already knew they did not match, i dont get why one outboard mechanic says it doesent matter they are the exact same lower unit and another outboard mechanic says they are different. they both have been working on outboards for a long long time, there has to be someone who has tried it and knows if it will or will not work....think im just gonna buy it and in the slim chance mine goes out i'll find out if it matches or doesent.