Oil dripping out of lower unit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
I have a 1958 18hp Evinrude Fastwin, in good condition. Shortly after moving the boat out of the garage this spring I noticed a small amount of oil dripping out of the lower unit onto my driveway. Everything else looks fine and there were no drops on the garage floor over the winter. Is this something I should be concerned about?

A few drops coming out of the exhaust is normal and a result of being 2 cycle engine. If coming from the gearcase, then it is not normal, check your lower lube for correct level and any water in the oil.
Try to determine exactly where the oil originates.
Tim

you should be able to feel even the smallest amount of oil residue below the exaust hole, if you dont id bet its your gearcase, that motor i think has the removable skeg. ceck the seal there and the prop seal. like mentioned above just drain the oil in a pan and even a drop of water will sit on top of the oil. if there is a small amount your fine, even a little more will not damage anything but id get the leak located and resealed. not sure either but it should have a gearcase magnet, check that for metal shavings from gear damage, its normal to have some metal dust from normal wear but anything bigger is an issue id adress...

Sound like the warmer weather built a little pressure in the gearcase and you have identified the fact that it leaks prior to having an issue with it. If it were mine I would remove the gearcase, drain the oil and pressure check the gearcase at around 2-3psi pressure - no more. Spray a little soapy water around each seal and you should see the leak. If not, submerge the gearcase while pressure checking and the leak will show at that time.

Latest posts