Motor movement ...beware!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcbond4

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post about my latest motor issues I had yesterday.

So..I decided to trade my 15 HP Evinrude (1976) for a 25 HP Johnson to a guy about three hours away from me.

I loaded up the 15 and hit the road. Finally got to the guys house and went to put my motor on the back of a boat so we could test run it in his tank. When I sat my motor down the top end moved violently. He told me it should not move near that much. So we started inspecting. Then we found that the lower yolk was busted. CRAP!

I was screwed. (it turned out ok, but only because the guy was pretty nice)

We ran it in the tank and the side of the yolk proceeded to break off and fall in the tank.

Apparently, there is a collared sleeve and bearing in the top end of your motor that, when it wears out or breaks...it puts an enormous amount of vibrations on that lower yolk. Eventually it breaks.

Now I'm not sure how much this yolk is....but he did tell me that you have to take the whole head off to replace it. Bottom line...if you cant pull your whole entire motor apart...and get it back together correctly..its going to be expensive.

I wanted to post this because I never realized that when the head of an outboard starts moving (as much as mine was) its not good. I've never been around a newer outboard so I've never seen anything different. Might be a good thing for everyone to check out if they aren't sure.

Others might already know this...but I didn't. I feel dumb. I felt even dumber when my motor fell apart three hours away from home when I was trying to trade. Just food for thought.

Yep.....There is a grease fitting on the side of the steering bracket designed to lubricate the bushing that wears out up there. If the bushing goes then the mounts have to put up with more movement than they were designed to and will eventually.....well, you know! Get out the grease gun once a year and also inspect every time your engine kicks up from hitting something as that will do the same thing to your engine.