09.9 Evenrude starts on it own.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgmesz

Reaction score
My 2001 09.9 Evenrude electric x-long shaft starts all on it own without touching anything. Once you turn on the power source
you newer know when it starts all on it own. Seems like any vibration from the big motor or the wash pump will get it going.
My thinking is the start button assembly is shorting out by the tiller arm. Anny thoughts on this? much appreciated.

Man I know of thousands of people who would envy your problem of your engine starting to easily :lol: Never heard of anyone with this problem but there is a first time for everything eh.

It has to be electrical, and it is most likely in the start button or the wiring going into it. Something has to be touching real easily in order for it to do that.

I think we both on the right track so I start with a new button assembly and go from there.
Thanks

You may not even need a new one. Can you take that one apart and see if you can fix it maybe?

Yup, my guess is the spring inside the start button is broken, causing the contacts to close.. If not that, then check the wiring from the solenoid, to the switch and back to the solenoid.. Probably rubbed through somewhere.

Latest posts