Need help finding a part!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansasnative

Reaction score
Got a new boat a few weeks ago (some of you might've seen the thread) and it has been sitting in a shop building for the past 25 or so years. The motor on the back is an old Merc 110 (9.8hp) and is in pretty nice condition so i want to use it this year or until i can find a console steer 25. I know the carb will need to be cleaned and i can do that, i can do the water pump too, but what i need help finding is the battery cables. This motor has electric start on it but the cables going from the motor to the battery are corroded, dry rotted, and falling apart. I looked on Iboats and Boats.net but I came up with nothing on iboats and got confused on boats.net. Boats.net couldn't find my serial number... i'm hoping i got the right number off the engine. It was on the engine mount above where the steering ram goes thru and it had the Mercury logo, starting instructions, and then the serial number 4548312. Someone please help because i've been searching for over a week and i'm ready to have this one running!

I am not familiar really with merc serial numbers (nightmare to read lol) But my guess is part #9 in the diagram would work for ya
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard/mercury-outboard-parts.php?modelId=5270&model=9.8&serialId=5220&serial=5206550+AND+UP&componentId=5156&component=ELECTRIC+COMPONENTS

I have seen more than one person just use high quality jumper cables as replacement for the battery cables on there motor and never had issues with it. Just match the fittings on the ends and you should be good to go. All it is is copper cable really. Just match the gauge wire and make your own connections : )

Thanks guys! I ended up ordering the part about 30 mins ago from boats.net and it was the same part number but it was only 60 bucks including shipping! I just can't wait to get it in!

Yes boats.net is usually cheaper. When I need parts fast I go with marine engine.com because they ship out of Seattle which is much closer and faster to me than the middle of Florida where iboats parts come out of.

How long are these cables? Many B2B, jobber, commercial auto part stores carry them by the "fraction of a foot". Some of the big truck cables get out to 6+ feet long, and their relatively cheap for the amount off copper in them.