How can I tell if my motor can be controlled remotely?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVeasey

Reaction score
I have a 58 Evinrude Sportwin 10hp, and I wanted to know how I could tell if it could be wired for remote control?

I also have a transom mount Minn Kota 65 trolling motor that I wanted to know if there was anyway to mount this off the bow and use a foot pedal control?

Any help would be great as the answers to these questions will (as you can imagine) directly impact my boat mod design.

Thanks!

Dale

I don't think the 58' 10hp was designed for remote use. I have seen the 18hp with remote but I don't remember ever seeing a 10hp of that year being setup for remote. But with enough time, ingenuity and money you can do anything though : ) Most remotes have electric start also and I don't think in 58' that was an option in the 10hp, but I could be wrong?

As for the trolling motor, I am not sure what year your minnkota 65 is but I highly doubt you can set it up for foot pedal operation. The logistics in converting it would not be worth it most likely anyway. You could maybe spin the head around so that it can be operated from the bow though. I have seen a lot of people do that.

Yes, the 1958 10hp engines, in both Evinrude and Johnson can be easily converted to remote control. The shift handle should have a slot in it and the throttle gear under the powerhead should have the arm and post on it. Your front steering bracket/lift handle should also have a slot at the mid-point. You will need to add trunnion anchors to the cowling on one side and the steering bracket on the other. The mount areas for these are already there for you.

Thanks Pappy! This certainly changes the planned layout of my boat!

I'm about to go search the forums on how to accomplish the task, and what materials I will need, yet is there anything you can add Pappy?

Thanks again!

Dale

Well, I'm in the process of procuring the necessary parts, yet wanted to make sure I get the correct trunnion anchors and steering bracket. Where can I look up their part numbers? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dale

check this thing out for your trolling motor. still mounts on the back but it make it foot controlled. im sure you could bow mount it too https://www.basspro.com/ProControll-Transom-Trolling-Motor-Foot-Control/product/10214272/85845

Latest posts