5hp Briggs & Stratt on 12' Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT12

Reaction score
I've got new 5hp B&S on a 12' Alum Tracker. I'm having trouble getting it to plane even if i distribute the weight around. It's my first boat & not sure if I need to adjust the angle of the motor, get a new prop, or put on a hydrofoil (which seems a bit much on just a 5hp). How fast should it go with 300lbs for myself and all my gear? Thanks.

It's going to be pretty slow going with a 5hp. I had a briggs motor on a gheenoe and it wasn't all that fast at all. Adding a little weight to the front of the boat and playing around with your tilt settings is really all you can do.. My advice would be not to spend any more money on the B&S and look at 9.9/10hp or even a 15hp if you are looking for speed but even then you would be exceeding the hp rating for your transom.

Thanks sixgun. Didn't think there was much else to do as it is only a 5hp. Thankfully, I really don't make long runs as most water bodies here in Eastern Mass. are small. Agreed, anything larger would exceed transom recommendations, and the cost to upgrade wouldn't be worth the extra speed on the smaller water bodies. Tight lines to ya.

Latest posts