Inherited 2005 15hp mercury... No manual... HELP!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z0mbie f1sherman

Reaction score
This may sound silly, but, i don't want to do the wrong thing and break this new to me motor!

Ok, here's the deal...

It's a 2005 Mercury 15hp, 4 stroke with electric AND pull starter, it also has an alternator.

Now my questions...

Being a four stroke, that means it runs off gasoline only... Right?
My previous motor was a 2 stroke, and i had to mix oil and gas.

Second... The tiller handle has 3 "settings" on it... Turtle, choke (i think) and rabbit. Weird...
Which selection do i put it in to start it?

Thanks in advance...

I'm just used to runnin my old 'rude 9.5, so this merc is like a space shuttle to me!

No need to mix gas on a 4 stroke. Check and change the oil just like a car pretty much :) And the "choke" setting should be where you start it at.

Thats what i thought, but like i said, don't want to ruin it

I even got a new, unused fuel tank so there would be no contamination from my mixed tank

Thanks for your help!

I have a 15 and the line between the turtle and rabbit is where you start it but its not a choke. You should have a choke knob on the motor that you pull out to start it when its cold. You must have the gear lever in just the right place if you use the pull chord or you will do like I did the first time I tried to crank mine I pulled the rubber grip off because the motor was locked.