1967 Evinrude Lightwin 3hp Model #3706C

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v1mitch

Reaction score
I inherited this motor along with the 1436 Ouachita jon boat recently. The motor runs like a dream, although has worn visually through the years. What is a motor like this worth these days? Is this a classic of any sort? What does the C mean at the end of the model number? Serial number is E06114.

There is probably no finer running small two cylinder engine than the little 3hp. I continually use one on the back of my 1955 Grumman Sport Boat for trolling the lake for bass or whatever. They run like watches. At one point I had around 7 of them. I sold off a few but not before going through and resealing the gearcase, new water pump, new carb kit and new ignition. Was selling them around the $400 area plus or minus. I was buying them either in running condition or just capable of running for anywhere from $75 on up depending on visual condition. Basically I made my labor hours back on the engine and the buyers got a very dependable engine!

Vmitch? What Pappy said. :)

Right now, my 3 hp lightwin (32 pounds !) is being rehabbed to put on my little 12ft river boat. A great, historic engine, light-weight and dependable. It's gonna be in my will.

Have fun with it.

This is exactly what my Uncle has told me about this engine. "It's a DANDY!" he says. I am excited about getting the boat work complete so that I can get it out in the water. Anyone have any ideas on locating decals for restoration?

Thanks for the replies btw!

Here you go; a little bit of advertising history. Enjoy.

50sEvinrudeLightwinAd.jpg

and finally, my favorite. ( I could get stupid if I saw one of these for sale. I KNOW it is just paint, but... :) )

EvinrudeDucktwin.jpg

Kismet said:
and finally, my favorite. ( I could get stupid if I saw one of these for sale. I KNOW it is just paint, but... :) )

EvinrudeDucktwin.jpg

I have a Ducktwin with great original paint and fully intact decals..........goes on my original military green colored 1955 Grumman Sport Boat. Also still have a 1967 Evinrude folding 3hp and the best runner of all of them is a non-folding 1967 Evinrude 3hp. All have the weedless gearcases and props.

I have a Ducktwin with great original paint and fully intact decals..........goes on my original military green colored 1955 Grumman Sport Boat. Also still have a 1967 Evinrude folding 3hp and the best runner of all of them is a non-folding 1967 Evinrude 3hp. All have the weedless gearcases and props.

Well, I don't hate you. I might have, earlier in my life, but as I have reached my current state of inner peace and harmony, I have forsaken such emotions as envy, jealousy, covetousness, and want. I am one with the Universe.

OOOHHHHhhmmmm.

(by the way, could I have your address, and say...your schedule...you know, just so I don't disturb you when I come to visit and admire your motors. I wouldn't want to interrupt anything important. Just want you to move along, nothing to see here.)

:twisted: :wink: :twisted:

The trailer is complete, boat is operable (transom is done, just haven't done all the mods I want to yet). I am moving on to the motor. My uncle said it was tuned and running like a dream when last put away. What all checks should I make before firing it up the first time?

"Tuned" can be a very liberal word. If you can, find out exactly what was done and when. Water pump impellers should be changed out around every 3 years or so. Gearcase oil checked and changed every year. Both of these more often if running in shallow weedy water. Engine should be greased every year. If the carb is clean and runnable and the ignition system is runnable so much the better. Would check the points and clean and re set them to .020. They can be cleaned with WD-40 on some Wet and Dry 220 grit sand paper or just the paper. I run all my 3hp engines on 24:1 mix regardless of how "new" they are. They love it, run well on it, and to date I have never seen an engine die from too much lubrication!!

Pappy said:
"Tuned" can be a very liberal word. If you can, find out exactly what was done and when. Water pump impellers should be changed out around every 3 years or so. Gearcase oil checked and changed every year. Both of these more often if running in shallow weedy water. Engine should be greased every year. If the carb is clean and runnable and the ignition system is runnable so much the better. Would check the points and clean and re set them to .020. They can be cleaned with WD-40 on some Wet and Dry 220 grit sand paper or just the paper. I run all my 3hp engines on 24:1 mix regardless of how "new" they are. They love it, run well on it, and to date I have never seen an engine die from too much lubrication!!

THANKS PAPPY! I am new to this, and literally "don't know what I don't know". So I want to be on the safe side of running this motor. When it was last ran some 6+ years ago, it had been completely gone through and ran like a dream, but it has sat in storage since.
Thanks again!

Just spent 2 hours on the river, running up and down with the 3 hp on my 12ft boat. Flawless engine, slightly-flawed human. It stopped, started, ran slow, ran fast, and forgave me when I didn't see a submerged limb.

Took some pictures, will load later. Not of lot of the motor, but pretty scenery.

( Almost, allll mooost, picked up a 3 hp Johnson in showroom condition from Craig's list. Don't need it, but I was THIS close to calling the guy and going to get it. They are just "cute.")

Here we go, 1956 3hp Evinrude, doing what it will be able to do for the next 100 years. It's, what?, 56 years old now? One hundred more, easily. Mostly pretty pictures of the lonely river on a lovely day. No traffic except a sit-on kayaker, who I ran down. :) (twice)

3hpon12ftclose.jpg

3hponpecwake.jpg

Bunks had to be extended for the 14ft boat.
12ftrightfromrear.jpg

ElphinonPecriverandwoods.jpg

elphinonpecdeadtrees.jpg

Elphinonpecgreatskiesreflection.jpg

Neat little boat, great little engine; one of these days, I should try fishing.
:?

So I got the motor out and took it to my Uncle's. He had it for many years and has worked on several boats and motors. Abbreviated version.... We realized no gas was getting to the carb. Checked the fuel line and then the shut off valve pin (I don't know what the proper name is) that is between the tank and the fuel line. Found that it was plugged. We removed it and cleaned it out. Checked for spark, good. Checked for gas, good. Cranked a couple times and it fired up. It ran well while at his house, but now that I am back home with it, I can't get it to fire back up. I am getting fuel to the carb. Could my problem be in the carb? It will start rarely with the choke on, but then after a few seconds will die out. I have a local shop I can take it to, but would love to save $$$ if it is a fairly simple fix. Any suggestions?

LOVE THE PICS BTW. Beautiful spot. I am sooo ready to get mine into the water!

There is a pinhole vent in the cap that can cause problems as well. Look closely for it. You can pass a piece of very small wire through it. Dont forget to turn the vent on each time you run it?
Other than that you have trash in the idle circuit and the carb will need to be cleaned. If you do this go ahead and get an OEM kit with new float etc and do it right.