Mercury 25 Shift shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackWoodsTracker

Reaction score
1983 Mercury 25 ser # 6383290. Every time I think I have this motor figured out, something else pops up. I bought this motor for my dad. I see now why the guy got rid of it. The lower unit gear lube is being pumped out through the shift shaft area. I replaced the seals under the waterpump. When I did that, there was no problem dropping the lower without disconnecting the shiftshaft beforehand. There are parts missing from this motor. I know the shaft is supposed to stay in the lower, but mine doesn't. What is supposed to hold it in place? Is it just the o-ring that is supposed to hold it? Here is a parts list, I don't see anything that would hold it in place.
https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury...rts/676_14.cfm

Also, does anybody know where I can get #7 from this list?
https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury...rts/676_12.cfm

You can check out www.marineengine.com. That is where I was able to find parts for my older motor for a good price.

Dan, I've got one of the "covers all" type Seloc manuals that is supposed to include your motor. If I'm reading this right and if the book is right, there is an E clip that fits in a groove on the shaft that would be below the seal and o ring. When the shaft goes into the lower unit, the bushing goes on top of the E clip. Then a screw is tightened on the bushing and that appears to be what holds the shaft in place. There is also a shift cam that mates up to the bottom end of the shaft and the alignment of those two is critical as well. So if your shift shaft has come out of the lower unit, I believe you will have to remove all the gears, bearings etc from the lower unit in order to put it together properly.

Again, let me say this is based on what I'm finding in a "Seloc" manual so take that info for what it's worth.

UPDATE
After reading a little further in this Seloc manual, it describes another lower unit with "unique shift arrangement". Looking at the pics in the manual of that setup and comparing them to the diagram that Crowley shows for the 83 25hp, they appear to be the same. If this is the setup you have, then there is less involved in getting the shift shaft back in and working.

Under shift shaft removal instructions for this type lower unit it says, "Newer units: Remove the bolt, washer, and retaining ring from the shift shaft. All units: Pull upward on the shift shaft until it is clear of the lower unit."

If this last part sounds like what you are dealing with let me know and I can try to get you some sort of copy of this info on putting it back together.

I'll look into which type it looks like I have. I looked for a spot for an e-clip before, but I'll look again. I hope to have a manual by tonight or tomorrow. It's time for me to get to bed, I'm a 3rd shifter.

Latest posts