HELP with starting merc 50 elpto

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River

Reaction score
Hi guys need some help. Im getting frustrated. 2011 50 hp merc elpto. New last summer. Ran outboard for 2 weeks last august with minor problems ( had a harness challange but got that squared away). Filled tank (24gal) with non ethonal gas at lake gasten and added marine stable. I figure i ran out a couple a gallons and the tank has 20 gals or so over our mild winter in central maryland.So tryed starting last weekend and it just wont start. She cranks but wont catch. The owners manual seems to give conflicting statements on cold starts? When you choke ( push in key) do you just do it for a couple seconds or hold it in until it starts? How about fast idle throttle only? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.....River

Attachments

• S5001090.JPG
    S5001090.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 585
  • S5001092.JPG
    S5001092.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 585
If you still have a full tank, I would get a can of Seafoam gas treatment, and pour the WHOLE can in the tank, and get it mixed up in the gas as best you can. Hook the boat up to tow vehicle, and "shake it up" or drive somewhere to get it mixed up as best you can, then try to start the merc. I used this trick on old gas in lawn mowers/pressure washers etc, and it usually will get the engine going, it will run like $%^& for a little bit, but will dry the gas out enough to get it going. You could drain most of the gas in the boat, and then put half a can of seafoam in, which might be easier, might not be.

Thanks guys...Im hard headed and will try again...Will be a pia to drain gas...Cam i get seafoam at wallyworld or will i need to get it at a marine dealer?

For whatever reason, some wallyworlds will have seafoam and some will not have it. You can also find it at a variety of autoparts stores.

New fuel, seafoam and make sure the choke is actually working. Mine does not when I push key in. They used the wrong harness...... So I took a piece of stainless "wire" and have a manual choke. Mine would struggle to start then I discovered the choke issue.

Report this postReply with quote

New fuel, seafoam and make sure the choke is actually working. Mine does not when I push key in. They used the wrong harness...... So I took a piece of stainless "wire" and have a manual choke. Mine would struggle to start then I discovered the choke issue.

Thanks, Should the choke be pushed and held...or pushed and released? My set up is from BPS in Baltimore delevered in nov 2010. I asked them not to put fuel in the onboard 24 gal tank. I dont think they did. Started right up last spring. Used the outboard 30-40 times last summer.Every time I started it I probally did it different.Some times it was easy, other times I stayed at home that morning, Im convinced on the fuel. Just still dont know the proper starting procedure.
I have to move the boat to try again. Tommorrow is Sat. Ill try before noon and post a update. If you guys are around Please take a look.Thanks .....River

That's funny mine came from them too! Supposedly push and hold. Take motor cover off and turn key while pushing, watch choke ARM on carb it should turn, then nice back when u stop pushing.

Sept. 2010. They used a 8 pin harness instead of a 10 pin. Harness is $66. I will take a pic later tonight of how I did my choke. I was surprised at how quickly it started when my manual choke was used. I don't think it made a complete revolution and it was running

OK guys Thanks..Hooked the boat up this am. Turned key to start...nothing at all WTF? I took the connector apart on the harness, made sure it was lined up...still nothing. Elec tilt worked but not bilge or aerator. Put on battery charger ( but it read full charge) tryed key and it turned over. Pumped bulb..Primed 5 times in about 5 seconds . I could hear something click. Gave it 1/3 throttel and she started right up YEA.... I now think I have a harness problem. These plugs( connectors) just dont look right. Should they relly have black tape around Them? Thanks for all your help ...River

Attachments

• S5001106.JPG
    S5001106.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 521
If u heard a click that was prolly the choke activating. That is the same looking connection the did on mine. Lovely huh? Take the connectors apart and clean with a contact cleaner and grease them with dielectric grease or vaseline. I would do all connections. Do u run in salt water?

Thanks lovedr79.. No salt yet. The connections and pins are all clean, no corrision, but yea I'll clean them and grease them. I guess they added the tape to keep them from pulling apart. I think when i tilt or steer there is just enough movement for the pins to loose contact. Will the grease help with that?

you're welcome, I hope I helped even if just a little. It might. Won't hurt anything. Work the steering from lock to lock and watch the connection. If its twisting or binding you found it. I was also lucky enough to have them use a control harness long enough for a 30' boat so I have all my wires in conduit clamps to ensure not too much weight is on the connections. I had issues with my motor a few weeks ago, and thought it was a warranty issue and ended up getting screwed, so I know how frustrating it can be.