whats it worth?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
1980 johnson 25hp rope/electric start. new water pump kit,fuel pump, driveshaft bearings and seals, gearcase seals, plugs/wires, carb kit. starts on first try 95% of the time. 2 owners(me and grandpa) and was serviced every two yrs exept lower lube every winter.1209111222a (640x480) (640x480).jpg076 (640x480).jpg[attachment=0]

Attachments

• 1020111823a (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    1020111823a (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 478
In my area (southwest, FL) a clean motor like that would go for probably around $800, and everyone snatches them up quick down here especially one that clean with all the new parts

The electric start is nice.

Depending on the market, anywhere from $500 to $1000 .... where I am it would sell for $700.

ive been offered 1,200.00 for it and i figured 800.00 would be fair and ive had 2 people tell me its worth 350.00 max...
i laughed at them and they told me i was nuts..... wish i could remember what my grandpa paid for it new? had to be right around 800.00-1000.00 im thinkin but either way i wouldnt sell it for all the tea in china it has way too much sentimental value for me to put a price on it..

shawnfish said:
but either way i wouldnt sell it for all the tea in china it has way too much sentimental value for me to put a price on it..

Good for you!!!

Motors are a dime a dozen ....

Hand-me-down motors from Grandpa (and the memories) are priceless!

nice part about them old motors is that are so simple. They arent the quietest or most fuel efficient, but they are easy to work on and straightforward. In my market, it would go for about 500-800, give or take. Knowing the history on it, id hold onto her and enjoy it...

From what I can tell, I would call that a near perfect motor based on its age. Around here, most people would ask anywhere from $200-$1200, depending on how much homework they have done on the motor. The $200 ones get sold right away, the $1200 do not. I would say a fair market price in my area in peak season (like right now), would be about $650-$800. Personally, I would not buy it for more then $500, but that's simply because 1. I do not need it and 2. I always like a bargain and I am not afraid to tinker on a non runner/rough runner to get it running right. Someone who just wants a good reliable 25hp motor without breaking the bank i'm sure would pay $750 for it right now.

Don't be offended by an offer of $350 on it, honestly that's about where I would want to be into it if I was going to buy it--but again, I'm not really the 'target market' for it.

But good for you for wanting to keep it! You will never own another outboard that will mean as much as that one!

thanks, i wasnt offended at all....my 9yr old will be running it someday on his(if and when i get a new one lol!) boat someday.
ive actually been replacing a bunch of stuff on it that really dont need replaced but i figure after 32 yrs i would get a leg up on it so it will be around another 30 some odd years. really shows how good of motors them old OMC's are when you just do very simple maintenance that is recomended from the factory every year or two. i bought an 92 25hp(johnson) a year or so back but couldnt bring myself to put it on the boat, dont think i would have been able to look at mine on the stand when pulling the boat out so i sold it and made 200 bucks.