disconnecting fuel line

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boater15

Reaction score
My motor mechanic told me that I could greatly increase the life of my carbs and prevent some issues in there if I disconnect my fuel line from motor on the way to dock and allow the motor to run itself dry. Any thoughts on whether good or bad? I have a 9.9 tiller motor with a quick connect fitting to the motor, so easy enough to do. He says the benefit is that way there is not fuel sitting in there until next time I go out.

I disagree with this.The fuel does not completely run dry in your carb.I believe it would cause more problems because now there is just a little gas left in your carb to evaporate.
I am a firm believer in a gas stabilizer though.

Put Seafoam in your gas and walk away with confidence.

https://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html

Available at automotive parts stores such as AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc.

If the carb runs dry, so do the crank bearings.. Sea foam in Ethenol free gas is the way to go.

my 80 johnson fuel line has been disconnected at the dock and idled till it dies for almost 32 years and ive never had a problem......

I was told to do this only if you plan on letting your motor sit for a long period of time. I do it as part of my winterization process.. thats about it.

shawnfish said:
my 80 johnson fuel line has been disconnected at the dock and idled till it dies for almost 32 years and ive never had a problem......

it gets used every 4-5 days at the longest, 2-stroke...did it for winter too. never a problem maybe im lucky, just had it all apart and looks fine to me...

I do it for winterizing with motorcycle, mower, weed eater etc, but I do it with my boat every time I pull it on the trailer. I just disconnect the fuel line, pull it onto the trailer and leave it in forward gear at about ¼ throttle until the engine dies of fuel starvation. As far as the lube goes, it's not like you're wiping the insides down with a dry towel or rinsing away the oil with starter fluid, so there should always be an oil coating left on everything. As far as Seafoam goes, I use it to winterize all my stuff and usually run some through each piece of equipment twice a year just to keep the fuel systems clean. I guess everyone has their own procedures that they like to do, so I guess it's "to each his own".

I run it dry at the end of the season. I was told to disconnect the fuel line when I am done for the day to release the pressure to the motor, to reduce stress on the the carb. I have heard this from a couple of people.

A buddy of mine runs it till it stalls. He bought an old merc and spent a bit fixing it and his mechanic told him to do it.. ill just stick with ethanol free gas and run my boat weekly like i do.

My new Honda outboard (4 stroke purchased in 2011) recommends running the carbs dry after each outing.

My 1996 Mercury 2 stroke also recommends doing the same thing when using an ethanol blend gas.

I always run it dry if its going to sit for more than a week or two .... especially if there is ethanol in the gas.