1966 Evinrude, 18HP Fastwin, forward/reverse lever

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
As mentioned above, I have a 1966 Evinrude Fastwin outboard motor, 18hp Fastwin.

Maybe I am not doing something right BUT let's say I have the engine off and I am fishing like I am supposed to be doing. When I am ready to move on to a new spot, I try and push the directional lever in to the neutral position so I can start the motor without it flying forward or reverse at a Mach 10 speed. There are times that when I try and move that lever, it is very hard. More times than not, I have to hit it with my hand to get it to move. I have tried to place the throttle handle in the start/shift position but it doesnt seem to make a difference. What am I missing?

Am I not doing something correct? Once in a blue moon , it will slide in and out of forward/neutral/reverse very smoothly. Which makes me think something isn't right.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to fix this or is there something I should be doing that I'm not, which would avoid all this?

I've got the same motor, I've had the same trouble occasionally. With the cowl off, between the shift lever and the flywheel there's a piece that engages and prevents you from shifting when the throttle is above fast idle, I'd make sure that was lubed good and not catching. If that doesn't solve it the issue must be down below, possibly the shift rod catching or even a piece of something in the lower unit gearcase

Latest posts