Johnson td 20 from the late 40's

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick4203

Reaction score
is there any one here that collects or has these old things?

i have found out alot of people collect old outboard motors who would of thought!

well i have started a thread at iboat and got lots of info from there but its so populated its hard to get responses after a hour your on the third page of new threads so i got to reply to get it to the top of the list im over it

i have been sufing thru the board here trying to get it all figured out and i like it alot everybody has some TRICKED out tin boats here
im getting to many good ideas from here =D>

well any way i got this old johnson td 20 years they were made 1946-1949 its a 5hp 2 stroke running pretty good i have been asking over there but would like to ask the members over here

is there any one knowledgeable with these old things?

edit ooo heres my thread over there https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=551955

Yes, but the best and most knowledgeable group is at www.aomci.org
Your engine should probably be run on a 16:1 mix or possibly as lean as 24:1 but never at 50:1 mixture. It may run at the leaner mixture but will fail in the long haul. They are excellent runners and depending on the exact vintage many of the ignition parts are still available over the counter. Impellers may be a little more difficult to obtain but not impossible.Check with the group I gave you the addy for and go into the Ask-A-Member section. You will have all the help you need.

yea i stoped by there and browsed a bit.

what motor you run... any of these old relics?

does any one else run one of these on there tin? :mrgreen:

Well, there is one in my signature. Others include engines that date back past yours. Some of my favorites that I run on my 16' K model Alumacraft are a 1948 Speeditwin (2-cyl. opposed) at 22.5hp, a 1948 Speedifour (4-cylinder opposed) at 33.4hp, and my favorite is a 1949 Big Four which is a 4-cylinder opposed 60 cu. in. 50hp. Have around 20 or so engines still after selling a bunch off last month.

you fly rc planes i used to fly rc sail planes and slope planes all gliders no good mountains around here so am unable to fly ne more like a 3 to 4 hour drive to fly

you fly power planes?

If you mean the real stuff yes, got my private and multi-engine license in 1971 and have been flying ever since. Got my taildragger endorsement around 15 years ago as well as a seaplane endorsement. No way can I afford to fly multi-engine anymore so I havent used that since around 2000 or 2001. If you mean gas and electric RC, I do that as well. Would be easy for you to get into electric power wherever you are. I just picked up two more planes this afternoon. An electric sail plane called an Ascend and a gas powered Ultra Stick with a Super Tigre 90 on it.

Latest posts