lower unit water in oil?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txneal

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Evinrude 25hp motor that I just got back from the repair shop and took it out for a test run. I'm going to attach a pic of what I saw after I took the boat out of the water and hopefully some of you guys can tell me if I have a problem. Long story short...I took the motor in to the shop because I thought I might have a worn clutch dog that needed to be replaced as I was getting a clunking noise along with high rpms. I brought the mechanic a new clutch dog, a new prop, and a rebuilt lower unit and told him to do whatever was necessary. He opted to replace the lower unit with the rebuilt one.

I took the boat out on the water and ran it around for a couple of hours and it seemed to be doing pretty good. However, when I pulled it out of the water, I noticed a yellowish looking oil on top of the cavitation plate and dripping down onto the skeg, It certainly doesn't look right to me and I'm afraid there is a bad seal or something in that lower unit that is allowing water to get in. I'm going to attach a pic and I would sure appreciate any feedback you guys can give me on it. Thanks!

2r47dp0.jpg

Pappy said:
Gearcase is full of emulsified oil and water. Take it back to where you just had it repaired.

double that! and make sure you never take it back again after you make them fix it right or get your money back...

Thanks for the comments. I called the repair shop and explained what had happened and emailed them this pic. The owner of the shop told me to bring it back in and they would pressure test and re-seal it. The problem is that it's a 300 mile round trip for me to go back up there. He says he might be able to get it done in one day or I may have to drive back up there again to get it if it takes him longer. I guess its good that he's willing to fix it, but the really irritating part of it is that I had to leave it with him for 3 months before he even had a chance to look at it and he says he's still backed up with work for about three months, so I hope this doesn't turn out to be another long wait. I got it in to him three months ago so that I'd have a boat ready for fishing when June got here....and now this! This guy is the ONLY marine mechanic within 350 miles of me who is willing to work on motors this old, so I'm at his mercy.

txneal said:
Thanks for the comments. I called the repair shop and explained what had happened and emailed them this pic. The owner of the shop told me to bring it back in and they would pressure test and re-seal it. The problem is that it's a 300 mile round trip for me to go back up there. He says he might be able to get it done in one day or I may have to drive back up there again to get it if it takes him longer. I guess its good that he's willing to fix it, but the really irritating part of it is that I had to leave it with him for 3 months before he even had a chance to look at it and he says he's still backed up with work for about three months, so I hope this doesn't turn out to be another long wait. I got it in to him three months ago so that I'd have a boat ready for fishing when June got here....and now this! This guy is the ONLY marine mechanic within 350 miles of me who is willing to work on motors this old, so I'm at his mercy.

id tell him he should pay for your gas, wich you and i both know will not happen. id be pissed!! he might be able to get it done in a day? really? id be talking to the better business buearu. try getting some parts or something out of the flake, tell him to drive to you and do it, he can pressure test it and fix it right at your house........reading your post gets my blood boiling!! you would think he would say im very sorry and will fix it before anything else at the very least...good luck man!

I took the motor back up there and he pulled the lower unit, pressure tested it, and replaced the upper drive shaft seal, which was leaking. It took him about half the day to finish it, but at least he got it done. I haven't had a chence to check it out on the water, but hope to do so within the next few days.

I have another motor, identical to this one, that I have never even attempted to start since I bought it as a potential parts motor a couple of years ago. I had dropped that one off with him when I first picked this one up and asked him to check it out and see if it's in working order or repairable. He hasn't had time to even look at it yet. However, he did tell me that when I come back to get that motor, I can pay for the work they did to fix the leaking seal on this one. I was quite surprised that he was going to charge me for replacing a failed seal that he had installed, but I was just glad to get out of there, so I said nothing and figured I'd deal with that issue later. Right now, I'm just hoping that my lower unit doesn't leak this time.

txneal said:
I took the motor back up there and he pulled the lower unit, pressure tested it, and replaced the upper drive shaft seal, which was leaking. It took him about half the day to finish it, but at least he got it done. I haven't had a chence to check it out on the water, but hope to do so within the next few days.

I have another motor, identical to this one, that I have never even attempted to start since I bought it as a potential parts motor a couple of years ago. I had dropped that one off with him when I first picked this one up and asked him to check it out and see if it's in working order or repairable. He hasn't had time to even look at it yet. However, he did tell me that when I come back to get that motor, I can pay for the work they did to fix the leaking seal on this one. I was quite surprised that he was going to charge me for replacing a failed seal that he had installed, but I was just glad to get out of there, so I said nothing and figured I'd deal with that issue later. Right now, I'm just hoping that my lower unit doesn't leak this time.

i would have told him hes nuttier than a snickers!!!! there is no way in hell you should or he should expect you to pay if he installed it wrong. you not saying something right off the bat is gonna be a problem for you down the road if you say you are not and shouldnt have to pay he could say hes keeping the other motor till you do pay him. you need to adress it ASAP!!! now!!! matter of fact id call right now and tell him to not touch the other one( you really want this idiot doing work on your stuff again?? he wouldnt get within 100 ft of mine) and settle the payment thing before he messes the other one up and your up the creek with no paddle!!

that being said i do hope your motor is good to go!!!

Latest posts