97 johnson 15 electric start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The charging system on your 15hp only puts out 4 amps which is not much at all. Are you concerned about over charging? I run my 30hp johny (same 4 amp system) off my trolling battery and haven't had any issues. I think it would be more trouble than it is worth to remove the charging system. I believe you would have to disconnect the wiring on your stator assembly which is all under the flywheel on your model I believe.

If it only runs 4 amps, Maybe i will just leave it be. I don't think it works anyhow, it would never keep the battery i had charged, after about 25 trips id have to charge the battery.

Yeah the 4 amp output will really only maintain the battery and may charge it a little if you run the motor at a high RPM for long intervals. At idle I do not believe it puts out 4 amps. I run my depth finder, trolling motor and start my main motor off one battery and have to charge the battery every few trips depending on how much I have used the trolling motor. I wouldn't bother removing the system and my guess is that it works but it is just hard to notice. If you were do disconnect the motor from the battery after every time you started it you would notice the battery die a lot sooner though.

I don't believe the small and mid range Johny's ever had a higher amp charging system. I know the newer small and mid range E-Tecs have much better charging systems......15 amp dedicated to the battery and more for lights and accessories if I remember correct.

Latest posts