I'm so close, yet so far away!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Yachtsman

Reaction score
Guys, I've got two trouble spots on my outboard (an 86 Johnson 60hp) and then my project boat will be ready for launch. First problem is a water leak from a gasket on the exhaust manifold. I'm hoping somebody can recommend an epoxy or filler or something along the lines of a radiator "Stop Leak" that will fix the leak without me having to take the outboard apart again. Second problem is a little easier to fix, I think, but I figured I would bring it up while I was posting. While I was running the outboard today, I noticed a pinhole in the lower unit that water was shooting out of. I'm guessing a JB Weld product would take care of that? Thanks for the help.

Stop Leak works in a radiator because it is constantly recirculated until it evetually plugs the hole. Outboards do not recirculate water. You have to do the job correctly and replace the gasket. As far as the lower unit goes, chances are the water is supposed to be coming out of there. There are several drains located around there. You may want to post a picture just to make sure.

Latest posts