having trouble with throttle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarego

Reaction score
I brought my boat into be serviced it needed a new water pump/carbs rebuilt, before bringing it in the throttle would start in neutral then i press the throttle into forward and it would goo faster and faster the further i pressed it down. i got the boat back now and now i basically have to slam it in forward to achieve any speed and its almost at full wot when i have to slam it any help with this question would be great thank you!!

Ok make and model of the motor is a must know if anyone is going to help you. And the description is a little confusing also... #-o
I am not understanding what you mean by "having to slam it into gear to achieve any speed?"

Are you trying to say that you have to have the RPM's high when shifting or else it will die?????

its a Mercury classic 50 1989 on a 1989 bass tracker. it starts fine then i put her in gear i push the forward and she goes slow maybe picks up a little on full . to achieve full throttle i have to slam the quicksilver throttle handle. before i brang it in she was working fine started out slow then when i engaged it a little it would pick up speed and then finally hit full wot without banging on the throttle handle or Slamming it quick. It seems it has 2 speeds and that's it slow and fast !!!!!!!

Ok we are talking about a remote steering model correct. My guess is that there is a cable slipping or a linkage issue. Sounds like maybe only one of your carburetors is opening up unless you slam the handle down. Take the engine cover off and get a buddy to operate the throttle while you watch to see how all the cables and linkages are working. See if both carbs are working simultaneously and that the linkages are all working properly. That would be where I started first.

Johny25 said:
Ok we are talking about a remote steering model correct. My guess is that there is a cable slipping or a linkage issue. Sounds like maybe only one of your carburetors is opening up unless you slam the handle down. Take the engine cover off and get a buddy to operate the throttle while you watch to see how all the cables and linkages are working. See if both carbs are working simultaneously and that the linkages are all working properly. That would be where I started first.
I'd start first by taking it back to the shop that performed the repairs. Just my opinion.

I have a Mercury 40hp outboard on my fiberglass boat with remote throttle and steering. I had a marine shop install the engine and the controls. It is setup to creep forward slowly from neutral to about half way to full throttle. When going past the half way point, HOLD ON MAMA! :shock:

im to dang new to these motors. i got it back and had a nightmare my old trolling motor wouldn't work i believe it sat in the rain for days on at the dealer im already 1000 into it now that i had to replace 2 battery's. I got it back that weekend i tried it and found the problems so looks like im going to the dealer again

oh and thanks for clarifying things up johny25, ckr74 i think thats what im going to do. it sounds like it wasnt anything i did. it was garage kept all winter long and then i bring it out there and they let it sit in the elements for almost 3 weeks :x :x i know more likely its the issue there. i had to replace switches on my trolling motor. I know they had to deal with the cables to adjust the carbs and water and cables do not work !

Unfortunately I hear this same story far to often :cry: " I took it to a mechanic and the motor now runs worse, and to top it off they left my boat out in the elements and I have more issues now!"

Most people are afraid to work on there outboard. But it really is easier than most think, and you really can't mess it up any worse than the mechanic right :lol:

Keep us updated and we will try and help you as much as we can :)

thank you all im afraid to start looking. putting to much into it right now. i call the dealer and they said they were busy i dont want my boat sitting in the elements again for three weeks and i dont think its my fault ill give you updates and maybe ask more questions thanks again

turns out hopefullly [-o< that it was an idle plate in the motor was replaced from dealer. also he was staing how tracker boats use smaller lines to the control box this guy seems to know his stuff ( the mechanic) ill be testing her tomorrow with the kid 18 months (first time) . ill let you guys know thanks again eveyone

in my case the wires were pinched water was so low i couldnt get pics because i had to take a swim will take a pic thanks for all the information ;;;; all

Latest posts