couple newbie questions 84 johnson 15

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crybrynt1975

Reaction score
hi guys just replaced the impellor and did a carb rebuilt 2 questions on the lower unit the left side cavity in the pic has alot of debris and gunk in it and thing special about cleaning it out? also the lower didnt have a gasket it was sealed with what looked like rtv is this factory and if so should i use the same and is there a special kind? oil was good no water in it. also i have this knob on the side im not to sure what it is and i couldnt find any reference in my repair manual... fuel tap or???

thanks
Corey
https://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/2006husky/PhotoJun1692419AM.jpg
https://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/2006husky/PhotoJun1591531PM.jpg

Nothing was sealed with RTV from the factory. RTV repairs are usually done under the ..............shade of a tree.........!
The knob on the side is an idle stop. This will control your idle speed. Where the heck was that engine being run? Never see yellow on the inside of the gearcase.

pappys right, no rtv from the factory it was shade tree work. no seals on any early 80's(35 and under) gearcases where exhaust housing and lower meet, at least ive never seen or heard of one..

crybrynt1975 said:
hi guys just replaced the impellor and did a carb rebuilt 2 questions on the lower unit the left side cavity in the pic has alot of debris and gunk in it and thing special about cleaning it out? also the lower didnt have a gasket it was sealed with what looked like rtv is this factory and if so should i use the same and is there a special kind? oil was good no water in it. also i have this knob on the side im not to sure what it is and i couldnt find any reference in my repair manual... fuel tap or???

thanks
Corey
https://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/2006husky/PhotoJun1692419AM.jpg
https://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/2006husky/PhotoJun1591531PM.jpg

ta ke another pic oh that knob about 1/4 mile farther away so we can see where its at lol!!
just messin with ya, easier to identify if we can see where on the motor it is. throttle friction maybe?????

Pappy said:
Nothing was sealed with RTV from the factory. RTV repairs are usually done under the ..............shade of a tree.........!
The knob on the side is an idle stop. This will control your idle speed. Where the heck was that engine being run? Never see yellow on the inside of the gearcase.

so do i just put it together metal to metal? any other advice on preventive maintaince? ive done impellor, carb kit, plugs , oil, updated fuel lines...i bought the motor from a fellow whose dad had passed away it has been in storage for 15 years all i know is he brought it to UT from MI.. thanks for all the help guys
corey

Should be a metal to metal fit. As far as the rest goes, it sounds like you've got it all covered other than possibly needing a fuel pump kit. But I wouldn't put one in unless it won't run without it.

The knob is the idle adjustment, but when turning it, make sure the white plastic piece inside doesn't spin too.. It should go in or out when the round knob is turned.. Set it, and forget it!
These motors are bullet proof if maintained properly, my only headache has been the recoil..

thanks for the help so far guys, one more issue i am having i can't seem to get the shift rod back together i am sure its probably something i am doing wrong.... as per my manual i put both the motor and lower in reverse but when i slide the lower shaft into the coupler for the life of me i don't have enough room to get a screw driver in and if i lower it a little to get the screw driver in i don't have it up enough for the bolt to lock it in...... I'm sure its just me... but any tricks gurus???
thanks
corey

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Yes, you do have room for a screwdriver. Drop the lower unit and take a small screwdriver and spread the coupler by holding the screwdriver from directly beneath straight up into it. The coupler is like a clamp and you are just spreading the clamp open to slide the lower shaft back inside. Do not open too much......just a little!

got it together thanks.... still doesnt run right seems starved for fuel, ordered a fuel pump rebuild kit..... sure ill be back for more help
thanks
Corey