good idea or not

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducker91

Reaction score
i currently have a 1986 yamaha 30hp that runs great but always looking to get bigger and better things, i have a guy in a neighboring town that has a 1987 mercury 50hp with the older power trim and ss prop. he started it up for me and runs good for the little bit i saw it, and it appears to be very well kept. hes asking $400 for everything, would this be a good deal or should i just stick with what i have

$400 for a good running 50hp Merc is a good deal any day of the week! I'd buy it even if I didn't need it. heck, the power trim and ss prop are worth the price.

yep, mee too! id be all over that like flies on you know what! the prop alone is around 250-300 new. if your 30 runs good you should be able to sell it for what ou pay for the 50 and more i would think.....

ok thanks guys, my biggest worry is that its an older merc and ive been told to stay away from them. anyone have any idea if this is a bad year or not, and he just called me today and said he would take 350 just to get it gone

An 87' Merc really isn't that old. It's probably the same technology as the newer 2-stroke Merc's through the 90's.
Go check it out more thorough and if it checks out buy it.
Worse case scenario is that you can part it out on ebay and get your money back.
Your Yamaha is probably worth $800-$1000.

If'n yer anywhere near Wisconsin, buy it and I'll come get it from you for a quick profit. I love old Mercs, but that would be the newest one for me! My 66 850 and 73 1500 run like new.

crazymanme2 said:
Check compression & if it's good buy it. =D>

I have a 1971 Merc 20 hp and it runs fine, I had to rewire it but that wasn't a big deal and I had to replace the shifter shaft seal and a new water pump, mine was on the boat I bought.

If it has good compression I would buy it, if it we me for that price I would convert it to a jet

Latest posts