2005 Mercury 60/40 jet missing at 4700 rpm's

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldog

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Mercury 60/40 2 stroke motor and it has a miss from about 4700-4900 rpm's. It runs amazingly at all other rpm's, gets to a healthy 5500 rpms, and starts up very quickly even after sitting for a week or so. I changed the spark plugs and have gone over all electrical connections and everything looks to be fine. To me it seems to not be a fuel problem because it is like someone is turning a switch on and off extremely fast at that rpm range so a possible electrical issue? Any ideas what it could be? I'm taking it in to the shop tomorrow but maybe a quick fix could save me some money.

Took the rig out today and ran about 12 miles and it seems the miss is now over 5000 rpms. Seems to be getting a little worse as well. $?$&@/!?,!?&@@@!!!!!!!!!! Going in to the shop tomorrow. Hopefully something simple.

If you take it in I hope the shop is a good one because that is probably going to be a tough problem to diagnose. They might just start changing out parts on your dime until they get lucky.
Getting to much fuel will cause a miss or make it stumble. A buddy's outboard was missing real bad and it ended up being the cold start primer injection. The outboard was sucking extra gas through the injection system when running causing it to get way too much fuel.