1996 -20 HP -Evinrude ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat Hog

Reaction score
Hi folks, this is my 1st post. My question is will this be plenty of motor for my new 1648 weldbilt . The boat weighs about 300 lbs empty. I now have a 15 hp johnny on my 1436 and i dont think it will have enough power . I come accross the 20 for a sweet deal (375.00 ). What do you guys think? BTW I am adding diamond plate to the floor and front deck on the boat. ILL POST PICS. LATER.....................Thanks........Cat Hog.

Cat Hog said:
Hi folks, this is my 1st post. My question is will this be plenty of motor for my new 1648 weldbilt . The boat weighs about 300 lbs empty. I now have a 15 hp johnny on my 1436 and i dont think it will have enough power . I come accross the 20 for a sweet deal (375.00 ). What do you guys think? BTW I am adding diamond plate to the floor and front deck on the boat. ILL POST PICS. LATER.....................Thanks........Cat Hog.
I think it would for me. I have a 1448(hull weight 285) that does great with a 15 merc. But some folks would want a 75hp on it. Just depends on who you are. I think it would plane ok.

Keep in mind that motors newer than '85 are measured at the prop rather than crank HP.. So if your 15 is Pre-'85 it's like having a newer 9.9.. I would think a "true" 20 would do ok on a 1648... I'm going to go out on a limb and predict 22mph

Should be a great combination. A 9.9 will plane that boat! Your 20hp should put a smile on your face and then some. Good engine by the way!!
BTW the older powerhead rated engines do not lose as much horsepower as was previously stated. This is particularly true of the 9.9-15hp line, no way would you lose that much horsepower, specially in that family of engines.
In general there is a 7% loss of horsepower per 90 degree gear set. Prior to 1984 engines could be rated either at the powerhead or the propeller and was the choice of the manufacturer.

Thanks for the imput...............GO HOGS............2012 College World Series

Pappy said:
BTW the older powerhead rated engines do not lose as much horsepower as was previously stated. This is particularly true of the 9.9-15hp line, no way would you lose that much horsepower, specially in that family of engines.
In general there is a 7% loss of horsepower per 90 degree gear set. Prior to 1984 engines could be rated either at the powerhead or the propeller and was the choice of the manufacturer.

I agree, the prop vs. Crank rating difference may not be 5 hp. But I can assure you that it is a noticeable difference.. My '92 9.9 evinrude has a noticeable amount more power compared to my '77 9.9 evinrude..

Latest posts