4 stroke stored on the wrong side

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used 1999 evinrude 5hp 4 stroke outboard. When I bought it, I put it down on the wrong side while transporting it for about 10 minutes. Now oil is leaking everywhere inside the engine and is getting into the water. Should I drain the carberator then push fresh gas through it? Also should I pull the spark plug and put a rag on the hole, then pull the started cord to get the oil out of the cylinder? I am hoping this will not be a complicated fix..

Usually an easy fix. If you stored it on its back (tiller handle up) then oil has leaked into the cylinder head. Pull the plugs while it is laying on its back again and let it drain for a few min. Then turn it over a few times to blow the rest out while plugs are out. She should then fire right back up after you get fuel into the cylinders again.

flajsh said:
Wow.how do you know which side to lay it on while transporting it.

I believe the side with the tiller handle is usually the side you want down

earl60446 said:
Don't forget to check the oil level and add as needed too.
Tim

I second that motion

Most of the time there is a decal to show which side goes up.. If it hasn't fallen off.

Thanks for all of the help.. This weekend i will try to get the oil out of the cylinder. I assume the spark plug will have lots of oil on it, how should i clean it?

Latest posts