25 Merc sneezing!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apex Predator

Reaction score
Had some engine trouble over the weekend. The outboard would stall and die on me repeatedly. It appears to be a fuel issue. The fuel line was coming apart. Some type of clear lining inside the fuel line was de-laminating from the inside wall of the hose. The previous owner did not use marine gas, and I think the ethanol has disintegrated the hose. Towards the end, my motor was backfiring pretty often at idle. It sounded just like a short sneeze! Do you folks think this is related? Thanks!

Yes replace all your hose and I would also replace the primmer bulb too. I get my fuel line at the local Mercury store as that is the motor I have, some here use normal automotive fuel line.

If you have a fuel filter change that too. Maybe the crud didn't get into the carb or fuel pump.

If outboards are sucking air anywhere the motors will not run well at all.

I replaced the bulb, fuel line, and filter. Same issues afterwards! I drained some fuel from the vent hole, while tank was upside down, into a mason jar. Lots of water in the tank! I bought a new tank, and now she runs like a new one!

Latest posts