Motor too hot????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassin4fun

Reaction score
'83 Evinrude 15 hp. new impeller, new t-stat. Having trouble with stalling after about 10 min. of trolling speed. Runs sweet otherwise, cruising, wide open ,etc. Thought it might be the internal fuel line giving out(which was original) so I replaced it. Barrel ran it in gear at idle tonite to see if it helped. Seemed ok, but it hit that 10 min. window and same thing, stalled right out. Was feeling the water coming out of the pee hole and it seemed quite warm. Water in barrel has cold, I kept introducing fresh water throughout this run. Got running again and noticed if motor was throttled up, the discharge water was cold, as it sat and idled the discharge would gradually get warmer and warmer unless I throttled up. Then it would cool down again. As I understand, the discharge should always be cool correct, because this water actually never goes thru the block? It's just the telltale saying your pump is working. Bad impeller?

Thanks in advance.....

luke warm water out of the peehole is ok but hot is not good. The water travels through the exhaust housing and through the exhaust cover a short distance before coming out the pee hole so after the motor has run for a few minutes the water should be a little warm considering the exhaust housing gets warm.

How strong is the stream at idle? And did you make sure the little key pin was in when the impeller was installed?

Your engine is designed to run on the thermostat at idle and just a little beyond. Above that the cooling system will bypass the thermostat and cool the engine down. What you are feeling is pretty normal and I don't think it is related to your issue. Just for the heck of it try richening your mixture about 1/8 turn counter-clockwise and see what happens at the 10 min mark.

Johny25 said:
How strong is the stream at idle? And did you make sure the little key pin was in when the impeller was installed?
Stream is steady, not a broken "piddle." Feel it sould be stronger but, not sure. This is my first full season with this "new to me" motor. I am used to my ol' 56 10 horse with no telltale. Not peein like 'big' outboard....unless throttled up, but better than before I serviced the pump. And yes, key went in nicely. Pulled driveshaft up out of L/U a bit so I had more room to work with it.

Pappy said:
Your engine is designed to run on the thermostat at idle and just a little beyond. Above that the cooling system will bypass the thermostat and cool the engine down. What you are feeling is pretty normal and I don't think it is related to your issue. Just for the heck of it try richening your mixture about 1/8 turn counter-clockwise and see what happens at the 10 min mark.
Pappy, I was gonna try that next. Maybe barrel AND lake test this weekend. Does a lean motor make a hotter motor? or is it just flat out not getting enough fuel in the low circuit after time?

All you guys' help is so great! Tinboats is the BEST!