25hp vs 35hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckr74

Reaction score
I'm thinking about swapping my 25 hp mariner (1988) for a 35hp Johnson (1982). I have it setting in my garage now. My son took the Johnson 35hp off of his and now has a 55hp Johnson. I'm going to sell one of the motors but don't know which one yet. My son said he just wants the $350.00 he paid for the 55hp and anything after that is mine. I just can't decide on which one. Both motors are in great shape but the Mariner seems to be much more refined than the Johnson. Thoughts?

Well the 82' Johny was rated at the flywheel so you are getting about 30hp from it and not the 35 that the badge says. The Mariner was rated at the prop in 88' so you are getting the 25hp out of it. That being said, the Johnson will most likely outlast that Mariner in the long run if both motors are in about the same condition and you will be getting a few more HP from the Johnson.

The 25 mariner had a 24.4 cubic inch block in 88' and the Johny 35 had a 31.8 cubic inch block in 82'. Both motors weigh within about 15lbs of each other depending on the model so there is really no big advantage in weight by going with the 25mariner.

If you are comfortable with the mariner mechanically speaking then you may just want to stick with the mariner. But just because the Mariner looks more refined does not necessarily mean it will be easier to maintain and work on. The 80's Johnson's are very simple motors to work on and will last forever if maintain correctly.

I would go with the Johnson, more HP, bigger block (which should outlast the mariner), and easier to work on IMO. But I have a jaded opinion obviously :lol:

Are they both the same style? Meaning electric start or rope start, long shaft or short shaft. Is either one a commercial model?

That's the kind of input I was looking for. They are both electric start and both rope start. Mariner is a recoil, Johnson just has the rope that wraps around the pulley on top. Thanks!

If the Mariner does have the shift on the tiller handle then that is definitely nice to have..... but the johny can very easily have the shifter modified if need be :mrgreen:
DSCN6439.JPG

GONNA AGREE WITH J25 100%....MARINER MORE REFINED? MAYBE TO THE NAKED EYE, THE REASON THEM OLD JOHNSON/RUDES ARE THE BEST OLDER MOTORS THERE ARE(JUST MY OPINION OF COURSE) IS BECAUSE THEY FOUND A WAY A LONG TIME AGO TO BUILD THEM OB'S SO THEY WOULD LAST A VERY LONG TIME AND BE VERY OWNER FREINDLY SO WHY REFINE SOMETHING TO MAKE IT BETTER WHEN ITS ALREADY AS GOOD AS IT GETS. REMINDS ME OF MY GRANDPA SAYIN "IF IT AINT BROKE DONT TRY N FIX IT"
WHY TRY TO CHANGE A GOOD THING? ONE MORE REASON I'D GO WITH THE JOHNSON, THERES A BAZILLION PARTS STILL ON THE MARKET(NOS) AND THERES A TRAZILLION USED PARTS WICH MOST OF THEM IVE SEEN DONT SHOW A WHOLE LOT OF WEAR FOR A FRACTION OF THE COST OF NEW. THAT BEING SAID IVE NEVER BEEN ON A BOAT WITH OR KNOWN ANYONE WHO HAS OWNED A MARINER BUT ID IMAGINE THEM OMC PARTS ARE WAY MORE ABUNDTANT THAN MARINER PARTS. AND FINALLY LIKE JOHNNY SAID IF THEY ARE BOTH IN THE SAME CONDITION THE JOHNNY'S GONNA OUT LIVE THAT MARINER AND ID BET GIVE YOU FAR FEWER PROBLEMS AS LONG AS YOU DO SIMPLE MAINTNANCE ON STUFF LIKE OIL,IMPELLER ETC.....

Johny25 said:
If the Mariner does have the shift on the tiller handle then that is definitely nice to have..... but the johny can very easily have the shifter modified if need be :mrgreen:
I think you guys talked me into switching. Is that OEM paint JB? There are tons of parts for these motors on E-bay.

Thought you guys might like some pics. Cleaned and painted control. Johnson is just clamped on the boat. Mariner is on CL now. Hopefully it sells soon.
Picture007-3.jpg
Picture006-3.jpg
Picture005-4.jpg

Don't know what happened with pics. Sorry.

That's a pretty clean looking 82' :) If you want to get the most out of that motor there are a few things you can do...... an 84' 35hp intake or any of the 85' and up 30hp intakes will get you a little more out of the motor. And an SS prop will also get you 1-2mph better top speed and better holeshot.

Latest posts