25HP TO 35HP(PROBALLY NOT 10 MORE HP) SIMPLE CONVERSION.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
IVE BEEN READING JOHNNY 25'S THREADS ON HIS HP CONVERSION SO AFTER DOING SOME RESEARCH AND PICKING HIS BRAIN(WICH I ENJOYED AND LEARNED ALOT FROM) I PULLED THE TRIGGER...FIRST OFF MY MOTORS A 1980 J25RCSA, AND I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT ALL I NEEDED TO DO TO MY MOTOR WAS SWAP OUT MY 25HP CARB WITH A 35HP CARB WICH I DID THE 35 CARB WAS OFF AN 1980 35HP. BOTH MOTORS HAVE THE EXACT SAME PISTONS AND RINGS, CRANKCASE AND CYL, INTAKE MANIFOLDS. THE DIFFERENCES WERE THE EXHAUST HOUSINGS(BOTH HAVE THE SAME INNER EXHAUST TUBES) WICH ARE REAL CLOSE,THE 35'S BEING A BIT DIFFERENT TO HOUSE THE DIFFERENT PUMP,SHAFT AND SOME OTHER ODDS AND ENDS, AND OF COURSE THE GEARCASES AND GEARS ARE DIFFERENT THE 25 BEING A SPLIT GEARCASE AND THE 35 BEING A ONE PEICE CASE. AND THE FWD,REV,AND DOG BEING DIFFERENT TO COMPENSATE FOR THE DIFFERENT GEAR RATIOS (35 IS 14:27) AND THE (25 IS 12:21)
SO AFTER TALKING WITH JOHNNY 25 AND A MECHANIC WICH IS THE SON OF WHO MY GRAMPS SAID WAS THE BEST, AND MOST HONEST AND ONLY GUY WHO WOULD TOUCH HIS(NOW MINE) MOTOR TO WORK ON IT( OH AND HE SOLD MY GRANDPA THE MOTOR NEW IN 80, BUT THAT DONT MATTER..) WICH HE RARELY GOT HIS HANDS ON IT TO WORK ON IT. ANYWHO THEY BOTH TOLD ME THAT THE LOWERS OFF THEM OLD MOTORS WERE BUILT A LOT TOUGHER THAN THEY NEEDED TO BE TO STILL FUNCTION PROPERLY AND THAT MY LOWER AND GEARS COULD TAKE THE XTRA HP , LET ME ALSO SAY THAT NEITHER ONE OF THEM GUARANTEED
THAT IT WOULD NOT CAUSE MORE THAN NORMAL WEAR ON GEARS,CLUTCH ETC....AND THAT IM DOING THIS AT MY OWN RISK BUT ONE OF THEM WAS SMILING... SO BEFORE THE SWAP I WAS GETTING 28MPH AT 4890 RPM'S I CHECKED RIGHT AFTER SUNRISE AND RIGHT AFTER SUNSET ON THE SAME DAY AND BOTH WERE THE SAME. AFTER THE SWAP I WAS 34 MPH AT 5190 RPM'S AND CHECKED AFTER SUNRISE AND AFTER SUNSET LIKE BEFORE...SO AFTER A FEW TIMES OUT LIGHTING THE WATER ON FIRE LOL! I TOOK THE SKEG OFF AND INSPECTED THE GEARS,DOG,SHAFT ETC... AND LOOKS THE SAME AS BEFORE. TOOK OFF THE UPPER TO SEE THE DRIVESHAFT AND IT LOOKED GOOD ALSO. OH AND THE MAGNET WAS 99.9% PERCENT FREE OF ANY GRIT OR DUST...

SO I GUESS TIME WILL TELL. BUT FOR NOW IT WAS THE BEST DAMM 80.00 I EVER SPENT AND A HECK OF A LOT CHEAPER THAN BUYING AN OLD 35 FOR IRENE...............

so all you did was change the carb? im currently looking for a donor motor as i have an 86 j25rcdc im wanting to do the same thing to.what kind of boat do you have and what size prop are you running? im running a 10x13 aluminum on a heavy welded 1648 and i get 26mph but i believe im at the upper end of my rpm band.

i already know just swapping your carb on your 86 will not do it, just off the top of my head i know the intakes are different on the 25's and 35's. cross reference your main components and go from there and see what matches and dont match. pretty sure it would probally be more work and money for your 86 to make it worthwile, but i could be wrong. 79 loweline jumbo-v 9 1/4 x 11 prop and with persons,motor and gear (my dry hull weight is 260lbs) im weighing right about 700lbs so im 100 lbs below max according the uscg plate. and im running about 5190 rpm's. i didnt notice the extra power untill i get towards the top of my ROR then it just keeps going longer than before, half throttle there is no difference that i can tell but WOT is very noticeable. and yes AHAB i love it!

Latest posts