Painting my motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leelatt

Reaction score
So the motor I got from my uncle for my 1542 is pretty rusty and has a good amount of corrosion/build up all over it, I've sanded and stripped that all down to the bare metal, bought marine outboard/inboard primer and matching paint. Problem is after 9 hours of drying the paint is dry to the touch but I can scratch it off easily with my fingernail, all the way down to the base metal, is this due to the paint needing more time to dry or is it crappy paint or did I miss a step, I followed the directions on the primer and the paint to the letter.

it's a 1998 15 hp rude, the 25 is missing a few parts so that will be my next project.

yea that's what I used, I let that dry for several hours then painted over it.

it's aluminum, the zinc chromate says it works on aluminum lower units and to do multiple thin coats so I did 3 coats.

the brand is Moeller for both the zinc chromate and the engine paint.

if I scratch it off with my fingernail in some spots I can see the primer and that doesn't scratch off as easily as the engine paint but some spots both the engine paint and primer scratch right off to the metal. if I lightly sand the engine paint can I paint over it with a different paint or should I sand it all off and start all over again?

Last time I painted my motor I used a self etching primer and just Ace Hardware automotive paint for a top coat and then 3 coats spar varnish after the top coat dried and the paint has held up awesome!

Latest posts