Carberator trouble. Engine won't give throttle.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kochy

Reaction score
Okay. I got a I think 1987 Mercury Classic Fifty Motor. I think 87 because I think it came with the boat. But I'm having trouble. Now I start the engine and it idles. When I start to give it gas. It trys to go, and we move a bit and it revs like its gunna go but all of a sudden it just dies. This happens alot. Now the only way to counter this is to floor it and pull the throttle stick back quick and it idles perfectly. Anyone know what the heck is wrong. The Mechanic just checked out the carbs and said everything's good.

Check for fuel restriction.. The most likely culprit is the fuel delivery hose from the tank.. They look fine from the outside, but are collapsed on the inside thanks to the ethanol in the fuel.
Also, check for any causes of air getting into the fuel like fuel pump gaskets, tank and motor connections etc.
At idle, the engine needs only a small amount of fuel, but when you open it up, supply is not meeting demand.

I alway make sure that ball is pumped up. So my fuel line could be collasped a bit? And on my gas tank theres a little thing you open to let air inside the tank when the gas is being pumped out, would that be the cause of the air?

Kochy said:
I alway make sure that ball is pumped up. So my fuel line could be collasped a bit? And on my gas tank theres a little thing you open to let air inside the tank when the gas is being pumped out, would that be the cause of the air?

Not likely, the air flow in the tank is supposed to happen. :)

I'm still screwing around with a smaller engine that had the interior walls of the fuel hose disintegrating, sending particles of hose into various orifices in the carb. Very frustrating, and I'm sure it was because the guy who sold it (for his father), put high octane in the tank to make sure he was using the "very best" with the motor. :(

Lord spare me from those with good intentions.

#-o

Around here, anyway, high octane is usually formulated with ethanol, which is not good for old hoses.

Can not speak for other areas of the Country.

Best wishes.

Latest posts