HELP PLEASE!!! could really use your advise!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inlovewithsurfin

Reaction score
hey guys... i have been searching for awhile now for a somewhat decent 9.9 that is in my price range of under $300 knowing that it may require some work to get it running again. i am an automotive mechanic but never played with outboards before? even though i havent touched outboards i am pretty mechanically inclined and i have torn apart several carbs so that doesnt scare me!

long story short... i have found TWO motors in my price range (which is a feat in itself!) and i need your advise on which one you would choose?

first one:

"1974 Johnson 9.9 outboard for sale

Motor ran when it was put up, but has been in storage for quite sometime
cylinder will turn with some force put needs to be freed up
Tiller model, short shaft
You can get it running or use it for parts"

in addition i asked him if he thinks it will run with a little bit of work and he says that he is confident that if i clean the carb and soak the cylinder it will free up and run

here are a few pictures... rough shape but so is everything i buy before i get my hands on it!

tin motor.jpg
tin motor1.jpg
tin motor2.jpg

second one:

its a 1983 and the pistons arent seized but it doesnt run either? he says he bought it from a good friend and used it for a few months but then got busy and it sat for a month and now it wont start? he says he let it sit with gas in the carbs and he thinks that cleaning the carbs will make it run again.... here is his listing:

"I have a short shaft 83 evenrude outboard motor with a stainless steel prop, 300dlrs firm. Runs good but cant seem to get it to start. Hasnt been started in a while and may need to clean the carburator."

tin motor3.jpg
tin motor4.jpg

these johnson's and evenrudes are like gold around here! there is hardly ever one for under $300 that doesnt have a blown motor or is trash? I would love your advise on if either of these are worth my time and if so which one would you choose? id hate to blow what little bit of money i have on a piece of junk so any tips on what to look for would be greatly appreciated also! thank you guys! i love this site :)

IMO, I would keep looking and keep saving.

I bought a boat with two motors that sat outside for twenty years! They both started and ran the first time I tried. Yes, it took several tries, but they started. One had issues staying alive but the other ran great.

The Evenrude looks clean! Its newer, isn't seized up, and its sitting on a boat. I would go for that one because it hasn't been sitting up in a barn somewhere, You could probably toss some starter fluid up in the carb and get it to crank, if not carb rebuilds are cheap nowadays!

My problem with the Johnson is that its not only not been used in a long time and also with outboards the impeller is rubber and will seize up much easier than say a jet ski or an inboard. So if you asked me the Evenrude with some sanding, get it running,

https://www.westmarine.com/webapp/w...le&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=441326#.T_z6u5FFk_g

The phantom black turns out great, its made to match mercury outboards but since it will need a complete paint job it won't made a difference. Its a nice high quality gloss, i use it to paint my skeg after a few months use on my 115hp mercury

i'm in the same boat as you are, used motors are very rare where i'm at.
if the price is the same, i'd choose the evindrude. it's younger and appears to require less work. since it turns freely, you can check for spark and compression. check the prop too if it's not spun.

I cannot believe that in VA Beach there are not a lot of "kicker" motors around from the SW boats - Keep looking and ask at the marinas - there are plenty of those motors around that run

thank you guys! there are alot of other motors around that run... just no 9.9's for under $300 :/ i talked some more to the guy selling the evinrude last night i am going to look at it on saturday. i am going to try and do a compression test and give the whole motor a good look over before i make an offer. and if i do buy it i am DEFINITELY going to have to repaint it! thank you for your advise and let me know if there are some areas i should make sure are ok on that outboard.

The '83 model is where I would spend the money. The rotating assembly is all needle and roller bearings on these engines and the fact that the other engine is hard to turn may or may not be a big issue depending on if the bearings are rusty and holding up the ability to rotate easily. The 1974 also had an earlier ignition system that isn't quite as robust as the later engine.

I agree with Pappy.. Go for the newer motor..
On the other hand, raise you budget to $500 and find something ready to go and newer.. You might have to add $200 in parts to the $300 motor to get it running well and dependable.. Once you factor in your time spent you might be better off spending $5-600 on something decent.

Those 9.9's and 15's are very sought after motors no matter where you live.. I have 3, when I do get around to selling 2 off I'm going to be asking top dollar.

The time of year also dictates price.. Better deals can be found in the fall and winter, prices go up in the spring and summer - but selection is better.

GYPSY400 said:
On the other hand, raise you budget to $500 and find something ready to go and newer.. You might have to add $200 in parts to the $300 motor to get it running well and dependable.. Once you factor in your time spent you might be better off spending $5-600 on something decent.

About six or seven years ago, I bought a used 15hp two stroke Evinrude from a guy who rebuilds outboards part time at his home. It ran for four years before I needed to change the head gasket. I paid $600 at the time. I sold the boat and motor in good running condition.

Latest posts