5 hp briggs and stratton 4 stroke on 14' tinboat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonSteRR

Reaction score
I was wandering if a 5hp 4 stroke mtr will push a 14' boat with 2 adults and one 13 yr old. Went out to Diamond Valley Lake and took a 42 thrust Minn Kota. Day was real windy and the battery went completely dead. Me and my friend had to row ourselves back to shore and that was no fun at all. I have also a 9hp Tohatsu 2 stroke, but that lake is very strict and allows only 4 stroke. Do u think its worth putting a 5hp to desperately fish this clear water lake. Lots of bass, but only big boats are able to go that distance for the good spots. we stayed close due to fear of battery going dead, which it did. Any suggestions, there is a great deal a neighbor is selling this motor for $200.00. Is it worth it?

it will definitely push your boat, won't win any races but you can go anywhere as long as you have enough fuel.
if it's in good condition, at less than half the price of new, i'd buy it without second thoughts.
but be aware that the powerhead on those things are basically lawn mower motors. they are air cooled and the exhaust is not submerged. others say it's slow and noisy compared to the usual outboard motor.

thank you for your feedback. I read lots of reviews of it being loud. Is there any quieter muffler that can be installed to it, upgraded or aftermarket?

i've read about somebody fabricating a stainless exhaust pipe that extends below the waterline, it apparently solved the issue of noise. be very careful not to touch the pipe because it will be really hot.

As stated they are lawn mower engines, which means easy/cheap service, but they are very loud and vibrate a lot. As far as an upgraded muffler, anything is possible, I'm sure a lawn mower shop would have some options for you. Honestly I would consider more batteries a better investment, you'll know what i mean if you take one out on the water.

It will go as long as you have fuel and just add on a down pipe to get the exhaust under the water and you will reduce the noise considerably. I see it as a good investment considering you are relying on a trolling motor now. You probably will not get that boat on a plane but it will puddle along 5-7mph with a 5hp.

I don't agree with just buying more batteries, that's just more upkeep and replacing batteries is more expensive than maintaining a motor, use the 5hp to get out there and then worry about going battery powered. On top of just adding more weight for the trolling motor to push requiring more power draw. There is and fine line between efficient and overkill.

I was wondering the same thing. I have a 2.5hp Mercury 4 stroke....the only outboard I have right now until I finish restoring the 1961 evinrude. I wonder how the 2.5 will push a 12' jon with two fat guys. lol

I have the 5HP B&G 4 Stroke on my 15ft Jon, it pushes me and my wife and son quite well. Great motor, never gives me problems. It is loud though, but I got mine new from someone who never used it for only $400. so it was worth it to me. A similar Mercury would have cost me 3-4 times that much.

Brandon said:
I was wondering the same thing. I have a 2.5hp Mercury 4 stroke....the only outboard I have right now until I finish restoring the 1961 evinrude. I wonder how the 2.5 will push a 12' jon with two fat guys. lol
When I first started with outboards all I had was a 2 hp Yamaha.I would get 2 of us around fine,in a homemade 14' boat.Watch out for big winds though,you'll still move but it will be harder to control.

borrowed one to use on my 1444 g3. 2 guys and gear had it at 7 mph, gps. i would buy it for 200, not worth much more. loud vibrates. still cheap to run, easy to maintain.. if possible hold out for a 9.9 or similar.

two questions:

How closely do they patrol the engine type at the lake?

How much do four stroke stickers cost that would cover a jonrude 5hp logo?

:)

If it works, like folks said, it will work. But it will never ever be the motor you want.

have fun.

Latest posts