7.5 Johnson to tinker with

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catsmith

Reaction score
I picked up a 7.5 johnnie yesterday. The old fellow said it was froze up on the phone and was selling for parts. I think it is an AD-11. Not sure of the year yet. I an not sure what I am missing. I gave him 50 bucks for the motor. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    608.4 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    663.8 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    464.8 KB · Views: 423
That is a 1957 7 1/2hp. They have the ability to be great little engines. Must be run on no less than a 24:1 mixture when you get it up and running. Should have a pressure tank to run it and those tanks are bulletproof plus all the parts to service them are still available as are the parts to service the engine. Service the ignition, carb, water pump and possibly gearcase seals and you will be able to hand it down to your kids and it will still be runnable!
You are missing a few parts there but not many. For the rubber cowling mounts go to www.nymarine.ca and for all the rest of the parts go to www.aomci.org and those guys will help you out. Now, get to work!

Thanks for the reply. I have figured out this much. I am missing the pull rope bracket etc and the front cover. I read about adding a fuel pump to the motor instead of the pressurized tank. Any links to how this works? Any body know where I can get the missing parts?

I mainly got this for something to tinker with and it will not keep me from fishing if it is not running. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Apparently reading comprehension was not your strong point in school? Re-read my post for your parts sources!
Why would you want to go away from the pressure tank? With a pressure tank you don't need a fuel pump. On that particular engine there are modifications that need to be done to passageways inside the intake manifold in order to run a non-pressurized tank or sourcing an intake by-pass cover with the port in it and plugging the port on the intake.

:oops:

OK you got me there Pappy. No it was not my strong suit. I think I was ADD before it was popular. #-o

I would ask how hard it is to find a good pressurized tank but I think I will tuck tail and go to that website first! [-X

Thanks!

Actually I think there are one or two being advertised in there. If not then put in a want ad for whatever parts you want or need and make sure you add your state or the webmaster will get his knickers in a twist.......
Ebay almost always has pressure tanks as well.

I have been looking this evening on that site. There is ALOT of stuff for sale on there.

OK question. Until I get the tank........if the carb has a float........could you rig up a gravity fed system to work on it in the shop to get it running in a bucket of water? Also would a piece of foam like a lawn mower breather in front of the carb work until I found the other parts?

Catsmith, in your first post you said the previous owner said the motor was stuck, is it? If it is, I would work on getting it unstuck before I done anything else. Depending on why it is stuck you may end up being better off to find another powerhead. Oh and by the way they are great little engines when running right.

bb, yes it is stuck. It has been raining every evening since I got it and uncle sugar has had me working late this week.

I am going to try to pull the plugs and soak the cyl tomorrow and over night. If I can get it spinning I will then pull the flywheel and see what is going on under there. One step at a time!

There are several ways to unstick one of these old engines. Any good penetrant will help but sometimes it takes days or weeks. A strap wrench on the flywheel will help during the process. A spark plug can be removed, broken off, drilled and tapped to accept a zirc fitting at which point the cylinder can be filled with grease and the hydraulic pressure on the piston will unstick as well. The guys in the AOMCi forum will also have many more ways to get one free.

Pappy,

never thought about a zerk fitting!.....now you have me thinking! In the past If Soaking it did not help I have pulled the cover off and tapped cyl with a mallet and a piece of 2x2. Usually pops it lose. My uncle used to pour hot coffee in there. said the acid in the coffee would make it turn loose. Saw it happen more than once.

Latest posts