opinions please on a motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catsmith

Reaction score
Friend of nime has a 15 johnnie that he gave me to try out today. Been sitting up a few years but turns over just fine. Gonna get plugs, impellor and a carb kit monday morning. Best he remembers, he rant it dry last ime it was used. It has not been used since I sold him a boat and he did need it any more. :LOL2:

The model number is either e15rcob or rco8, was getting dark a few minutes ago when I was trying to read it.

I have a 1442 duracraft modified v/flat (1981) and am going to try it out this week while camping at the state park.

Any thought on how this motor should do on this boat and what I should do to it before the lake?

E15RCOB is correct..... 1985 model. Well I have had motors sit for 15 years and the impeller still worked great. Matter of fact it was an 87' 9.9hp. I did end up putting a new impeller, carb kit, new gear oil, and plugs in but it ran great before and after I did this. It was more for peace of mind.

I would say to put it in a barrel and fire it up. Fake lakes can hide a bad impeller with the hose pressure. But a barrel will tell you real quick if the impeller is weak or shot. If you have the time then do all of the above mentioned. But if she fires up, runs good, and pumps good water out the pee hole then I would say run it this weekend. Oh and putting some seafoam in the fuel is also not a bad idea :)

Thanks Johnny, I was wondering what year it was. I am gonna get plugs at least in the morning. If I can get it running tomorrow and it is pumping H2O I will probably wait on the other stuff. Oh and seafoam is the greatest. About twice a year I run it through all my smaller stuff and one a year in my vehicles.

What is the going price on one of these?

Oh depending on location, supply and demand, shape it is in......... $300-$700 And since it is not an electric start or a longshaft it is probably in the middle area of that price range. That is if it is in good condition.

Well I picked up plugs this morning and switched them out and cut down a plastic barrel and filled her up and the motor cranked up with just a little tinkering. I left it running for about 20 minutes in the barrel while I was doing other things to the boat. forward and reverse both work and the it idles pretty good after warming up. I think my buddy was right, it needs the cobwebs blown out of it. Me and my bride are gonna run down to the lake and put it thru it's paces this afternoon. As long as it keeps water flowing I will run it as is this week. I will change out the lube in the foot this evening. I wanted to get it moving first to get everything loose before I drain it.

QUESTION: In the past I have put gas in the foot to clean it up before filling. Good or bad Idea????????

I haven't ever done that before and my concern would be if you couldn't get it all out and it mixed with the gear oil it may break it down so it doesn't lube as well. I have flushed mine with extra gear oil before. Hopefully it is pretty clean and you won't have to worry about flushing it out.

catsmith said:
QUESTION: In the past I have put gas in the foot to clean it up before filling. Good or bad Idea????????
if the oil you drain is good, no need to flush. if it's really dirty, flush with clean oil, run for a while then change it again. never flush with gas because of what johnny said, and gas might damage the oil seal giving you more trouble.
make sure the drain plug is magnetic. it wouldn't hurt if you can relace the oil level plug with a magnet also, just so you don't have to worry about interchanging the two plugs.

I would use ATF to flush something clean.. It has a lot of detergent in it to get out all the gunk and if some is left behind its ok, because it's still technically oil.

I ended up just draining and refilling. Oil was dark but not milky. It has been running fine but not sure if I am getting all it will give yet. Seems to be struggling some.

Question: it is not wanting to plane out. Been playing with weight dist. and the angle pin on the motor. I have a feeling it is still too heavy. (Old fiberglass floor etc. Have not taken it all out yet.) My question is, It is just pushing the nose up right now. I have taken it up and down one notch but it still is not leveling out. What would help this situation? Up, down, upside down?

A 15 HP should be able to plane out a 1442 with 1 person.. Not sure about this fiberglass floor you speak of though.. I would start with your trim on the lowest ( closest) setting, make sure your not on shallow water drive!!
It should plane out and plow the front.. Then work your way up the trim holes until your happy.. Ideally the side spray should be at least 2/3 to the rear and the bow should be just above the surface.
On my 16 ft steel AquaTruk ( homemade 1648) I can get it on plane empty with a 9.9 Johnson

Yeah that 15 should plane that boat easily. It has to be incorrect trim position, improper weight distribution, or maybe the motor is WAY over propped? Get every bit of weight into the front of the boat and then get your motor into the #2 pin slot. If the bow is still riding high then put it into the #1 slot closest to the transom. If this still doesn't work then you may have other issues, either prop or engine related.

My 1987 15hp Johny planes my 1467t lowe deep V with about 900 lbs total weight. Not very fast mind you, but she will plane it :)

the floor consists of poured foam between the ribs, 1/2 ply that is probably wet after the rain we have been getting, and fiberglass over that. at one point there was carpet on that. I already pulled the front section because I knew it was wet. Have not had time to pull the other three sections yet. The foam I uncovered looks pretty good considering it is from 1980. Probably need to scrape the foam also and go back with sheet foam and aluminum over that. should drop about 50 lbs or more.

I will play with the trim and see what happens. Thanks Gypsy.

Thanks Johnny, I will try that.

OK, if I get it set for just me, how much difference is it gonna make when I have my wife in the front of the boat?

I am trying to get used to a small boat again. Weight and all that makes alot of difference compaired to a 24' toon with a 115 merc.

Well I am surely not gonna ask how much the wife weighs... 8) but depending on what that is you may or may not have to adjust some weight to the middle or back of the boat when she rides with you.

Well said johny! You are wise one! I told her what you replied and she LOL and told me to be smart like you! :lol:

I am gonna play with the setting this morning. My problem is that where I'm at on Bistineau, there are stumps EVERYWHERE! Hard to find a place to really open it up. Slid over one last night that was as good as a ride at the county fair!

Fishing report..........Been catching the brem but have not connected with a single catfish on the limb lines. :shock: Gonna go run them this morning here in a few minutes. Gonna be kinda hard to feed the family the promised fishfry this afternoon without catfish! May have to run home to the freezer! :oops: :cry:

Latest posts