9.9 Evinrude Outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spangler2k3

Reaction score
Looking to buy a motor and found this one on craigslist. Cosmetically it looks good.. but this is what the gentleman had to say about it...

This 1980 engine has been hanging in my garage for many years waiting to serve. My wife said it's gotta go... Currently it is a long shaft with all parts to make short again. The original owners manual , fuel tank and propeller are being sold with it.. On a scale of 1-10 it is a 9 cosmetically. I am the second owner and have put less than 10 hrs on the engine. It starts,runs and shifts just like brand new. Pictures are coming as soon as my son can download for me..If you are interested email with a phone number and I will get back to you ASAP

if the motor is in working condition and functions properly, he's asking 650.. is it worth that or should i make a lower offer..

i bought a new crestliner 14' jon and need an outboard but dont want to pay for a new one

thanks in advance

don't know what it's worth. BUT; recently bought a LS 2004 johnson 9.9 W/ the fuel tank and prop., in near mint condition for $800.
24 yrs. newer for $150 more, unless you want both the long and short shafts. ????
that was bought off central NJ craigs list.
how did you miss that one? almost on your doorstep? :lol:

Well it will need a new impeller and a carburetor clean/rebuild.... so that will set you back $30-$35 plus shipping (unless you have a dealer near you). Also you will have to factor in your labor 3-4hrs probably.

Ok if the motor is EXACTLY what he claims.....which I highly doubt coming from craigslist then I would value the motor at $550-600 retail. But in this market $500 would be the most I would pay for that motor in EXCELLENT condition. The 1980 model has the old gear style tiller handle which is not desirable, it does not have an electric start, and being that it was made before 1985 it's HP was rated at the flywheel and not at the prop.

If it were an 86' evinrude longshaft, electric start, cable style tiller with the kill switch I would value it at $650 in the condition he claims. But being a 1980 model has its downfalls. The good thing about this motor is you can turn it into a 15hp pretty easily :D

But all of this is based on supply and demand, if it is a rare find where you come from then it may be worth $650..... This is just my 2 cents though :)

:p Sort of figured that! Actually made a mistake on above post. I pd. $800, not $900. will correct it now.
there are good deals on CL, but they get gobbled up fast. almost have to be looking right after they are posted.

I will say this also... the OMC motor's in the 50's-60's-70's-80's were the best there was hands down! That is why so many are still out there and running. Johnson/BRP did not have the best reputation or motors starting around the mid to late 90's and continued until maybe recently with the E-tecs. I would actually buy a Merc or Yamy before a J/E staring around the 95'-97' years all the way up until the E-tec was born. But prior to that OMC ruled the water

A motor that clean is worth around what he's asking but it wouldn't hurt to offer $500 and go up from there. You could use that motor for 10 years and if you keep it clean you would probably be able to get all of your money back.

Up here in Canada, that motor will fetch $650 in the spring or early summer.. $500 in the fall or winter if it's in good condition. They are very sought after motors with a very dependable reputation..
A comparable Mercury of the same vintage will fetch $3-600..

Latest posts