93 8HP Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spangler2k3

Reaction score
Picked up my first motor from a guy off craigslist last night. I think i received a fair price for the motor that started on the 1st pull and seemed to run fine.

Ill be the first to tell you i have never owned/serviced an outboard before, though i am not clueless i am pretty mechanically inclined to "figure it out"

I have the manual for it as well as all the replacement part lists with prices..

i have a local marine shop that i may take to for this first time to get it serviced and bite the bullet for whatever the cost is, but would like to know a general rule of thumb of what to look for and what not to look for on the motor..

One of the only issues i could see is that the kill switch doesnt work like it should and to kill the motor you have to pull the choke quick. I plan on fixing that as i can see where that would be an issue

He gave me 2 extra spark plugs, and lower gear lube, and a few extra shear pins he had laying around in case i got into some rocks..

I have read that this year of the motor is not quite built like the older days but still relatively newer compared to what i was looking at..

If you have any knowledge or experience with this motor could you send me a message please?

Thanks in advance

Chris

The 93' 8hp is very similar in design to a lot of OMC's..... maybe not the 50's or 60's motors but in 93' the design was fairly unchanged from the 70's and 80's so if you have a question or problem with the motor just post it and someone will guide you in the right direction :)

going to fill up my garbage can and try and start it up tonight.. ill post a video of it or something.. i know some people can tell by seeing it run and hearing it.. I'm excited.. should push my 1436L quite nicely (if it runs well that is)

I may have the same motor as you. Not sure what year mine is. Never looked. I have a 1436 and it pushes me 21-23 mph by myself. I usually get 15-16 with another person and some gear. I think you will be pleased.

For the kill switch issue, check the wiring, one should go to ground.. Had the wire break off at the cylinder head of my 9.9 once, leaving the switch useless.

Post some pics if you like......cause we all love pics :D And it is easier for us to get an idea of what is wrong with the kill switch.

The later model 6hp, 7 1/2, and 8hp engines were pretty much bulletproof in design, running quality and longevity. Run your engine on at least a 50:1 mixture and if possible, obtain gasoline without alcohol in it.
For proper servicing, the engine should have a new impeller or complete water pump in it plus thorough greasing and lower unit oil change as well as a tune up as necessary. Do not overlook the waterpump as the damage it can cause from not replacing it is massive and costly. The peace of mind alone is well worth it.
Check the lower unit oil a couple times until you know the gearcase is not leaking. Would run a little heavy on oil for the first tank of gasoline due to the engine being in storage for a while. Never hurts.

the guy i bought it from showed me a invoice of having a new water pump, lower unit oiled so as far as that goes its so far so good..

i had an issue starting, but i took the spark plugs out and cleaned them with a bit of seafoam on a cloth.. primed the bulb and first pull starts up no problem.. and i had a loose ground on the killswitch.. works fine now..

as far as a mixture i ran it a bit hot by putting 3 gallons of 93 in it added some seafoam (learned that from here) and went a little heavy on the oil for the first run... fired it up in water and let it idle for about 10 minutes. popped it in gear front and back for like 5 seconds, back to neutral and killed it via kill switch...

loading a picture now... im not exactly sure what im looking for while running it but i can point out where water was coming out and also another place.. check the pic with the text on it.. water came out in a steady stream like i know it should, but a little bit of water came out in spurts out of the lower spot pictured... ideas or suggestions?

thanks

MOTOR.jpg

i guess you could call it an oily substance.. from what i dug around the net its a mix of unburned oil and gas.. do you guys agree?

That is an exhaust hole it the back and it will spit water out it also because the midsection fills partially with water.... completely normal. The residual oil/gas mix you are seeing is exactly what you found on the net. Also normal and if you mixed the fuel rich then there will be more than normal. Also if you run it on muffs or in a barrel it will cause more to accumulate. When you get her on the lake and running full throttle she won't do that near as bad if at all.

Nice little motor, if you take care of her she will outlive you :mrgreen:

thanks for the help.. give me a little more ease of taking it on the river.. i think for everyones safety i will go "UP" - stream lol

i'll post some more pictures... check out my 2012 crestliner build in boat modification.. should get some more of that done over the weekend... too dang hot here.. 101 yesterday.. in PENNSYLVANIA.. are you kidding?

is there a genreral guideline of where i need to set this up in relation to the bottom of the boat? ive read different all over the net..

its a 14' flat bottom.. i was told to start out putting the plate even with the bottom and making test runs with a couple turns to see if its set in the correct depth.. im not worried about top end or hole shots with this thing.. just need no hiccups while fishing.. going to use it mainly to get upstream after drift fishing

thanks

I would suggest to just leave it all the way down on the transom then. Which will put your cav plate about 1-2" under the water most likely. If you get the fuel tank and gear forward it should plane the boat with one adult in it. But if you get another adult in there don't be surprised when she doesn't plane the boat. Ideally the cavitation plate is flush with the bottom of the boat and you will be able see the top of the plate if you look at it when running on plane. If you try to look at this while on full plane just be careful. I almost fell out the back of mine doing about 30mph while doing this #-o. Always have your kill switch attached to you when running, just in case something happens. The circle of death is no joke. I dated a girl that was thrown overboard with her female cousin (no kill switch), the boat kept circling her until it finally ran her over and she had massive scars on her legs, over 300 stitches, and almost killed her. She was lucky!

I have found 2 spots that had leaked since getting it up and running yesterday.. please advise as i don't know what to do and what not to do

the first small little spot on the left in the picture as you can see where its running down,
the 2nd spot its coming out of the screen as posted in the picture... making the bigger spill on the right..

steps and suggestions to remedy?

thanks
2012-07-18_17-52-41_208.jpg

leak.jpg

I did read it could of been because i put a little more oil in than usual... i noticed it hasnt leaked a drop in about. An hour. Appreciate your thoughts

That's normal.. Just oil built up in the exhaust housing.. Once it runs for a while at top speed at a 50:1 mix it will clear up.

Latest posts