classic 50 hp 1989

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarego

Reaction score
anyone change a prop on a 1989 classic 50 mercury i need to take it off to check for line first then replace it. also can anyone direct me to looking for damage ? should i open the vent screw and look for water or the drain ?
thanks for any tips and or advice

clarego said:
anyone change a prop on a 1989 classic 50 mercury i need to take it off to check for line first then replace it. also can anyone direct me to looking for damage ? should i open the vent screw and look for water or the drain ?
thanks for any tips and or advice

needs replaced? direct you to look for damage?

how do you know it needs replaced? if you dont see any damage ( bent,dings,chipped etc....) then its fine.

and yes i would check for water by draining your lower.

why do you think it needs replaced?

a little more info would help to get the best advice, like is there an issue with performance and if so what is it?

there's damage to the prop it needs changed it is bent (been needing change) just havent got around to doing it its not that bad of shape but enough i think it may cause problems . i got line in it this weekend and hope there is no signs of water getting in i just had the whole impeller and seals change. i just want to check it and learn how to take one off

how do you check for signs of water through the vent plug or through the fill tag again everything was changed and if the line caused damage to the seal s will i see it

As shawn mentioned, you drain some oil out of the lower plug to check for water. If sitting long enough (couple days), the water will have collected at the bottom so you should know right away if water in lower.
I don't know about the prop specifically but likely just a cotter pin holding a castle nut tight so just take it off and remove any line, its as simple as that. Wipe clean and inspect for seal damage.
Tim

dont know too much about mercs your impeller and the gasket on the pump if bad would not let water in your lower unit, now line in the prop could damage your prop hub seal possibly and allow water in. if that was the only damage on ur prop being the tip of the one blade you can fix that if your handy with a propane torch and a hammer, some would just replace it but if your motors not shaking or doesent feel any different at WOT than before damaging after fixing it i would keep it and save your money, if u buy a new one make sure you get the right pitch and diameter because if you dont you could cause your motor to over rev and burn it up or not get enough rpm's and make your motor work very hard andshorten its life....

i did get the line out i look at the seals and no damage so i just stuck it back on before i go out again im going to greae it
thanks shawn

Latest posts