1955 25hp Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus Nelson

Reaction score
Picked up a 25hp Johnson this past weekend for $40 bucks. The bottom part of the lower unit is missing, where the prop shaft is located. Im trying to find a donor motor for it now and was wondering what years,and models, are interchangeable? Model# RDE17-S, Ser#1288177.

Here is a few quotes from a very knowledgeable man from another site about what you seek.

QUOTE:

"Hi Bill, Here goes. The first "Big Twin", as they are commonly referred to, came out in 1951 as a 25hp. They were approximately 35.7 cui. This model ran through the 1954 model year, more or less unchanged.1955 saw a fairly substantial change toward quieting the motors, as they sealed the powerhead and made changes to the exhaust and lower unit sections. Horsepower remained 25 and displacement remained 35.7. They also changed the throttle arrangement from cables to gears where it entered the powerhead area.1956 saw a change in the cylinder head and piston dome to go from a 5:1 compression ratio to 6:1. Displacement remained 35.7, but hp bumped to 30.1957 they bumped the displacement up to 40.5. Same stroke, larger bore. Horsepower was bumped to 35. 1958 marked the introduction of the "Super Quiet" motors with the double wall mid-sections and better sealing for sound. Evinrude's was the Lark, and Johnson's was the Super Seahorse. You could get either the Super Quiet version or the standard Big Twin model in 1958 (similar to the 1957s without the quiet package).In 1959 the quiet models were the only 35s available.1960 saw a bump up in displacement once more to 43.9 cui and horsepower went to 40. Unfortunately, they were still using essentially the same crankshaft that they started with in 1951 and the 40s began breaking cranks. 1961 saw a beefier crankshaft introduced, retaining the same stroke as 1960 and prior.Hope that helps!- Scott"

QUOTE:
"Mostly... I had to double check on the displacement for the 40 horse.. Forgot to handle point three of Bill's query...Lots of interchangeability between years. Lower units from 1951 to 1954 interchange. Units from '55 to '57 interchange. '58 units get a little interesting as they had the two versions offered. Silent units interchange up 'til they went to electric shift in the 1960s. Base (non silent package) model units interchange with earlier models without the silent pkg. Units generally interchange as an assembly between years, within a style, as there was sometimes variations in the innards themselves between years. Magneto parts are fairly standardized throughout the run, but flywheels changed periodically. Confused yet?It's interesting that the Big Twin design remained in the OMC lineup well into the 1980s as the WorkTwin 40. Made for a 30+ year run using the same basic design....- Scott"

This is not my info but I do know this man knows his stuff..... hope it helps you. He recited almost all this info off the top of his head :shock:

The RDE-17 should be an electric start, built in 1955. Sort of a rare bird with the electric start and a very nice running engine. Watched one running on an old Chetek hull this weekend. There is still an abundance of parts available for your engine.
go to www.aomci.org and put a request in for a complete lower unit and I bet you get a reply fairly quickly.

I'll have to check them out. Thanks!!! Also picked a 1957 30 hp Johnson this weekend for a $100 with the 2 line fuel tank and fittings and it runs!!! Going to look at a 30hp Johnson Javeline this weekend. This has become addictive!!! LOL

Johnson did not make a 30hp in 1957. The last year of production for the 30hp was 1956. If it is a 56 then there should be a "30" inside a circle with four prongs on it.
Make absolutely sure you are running these engines on a mixture of 24:1. No less. Water pumps in all of them!! Cheaper than a powerhead.
Way to go on your finds. The 30hp Javelin is sort of a rare bird in the vintage world.

Yes the water pumps will be changed. Not sure where i came up with 1957. Also will be picking up a running Johnson 25hp Gale engine this weekend, maybe thats where I came up with 1957. I'm just trying to get a collection going and see what i can get running, already have 1 running engine. Also its a great way to learn about them,and i'm into them cheap, will be at $200 total after I pick up the next 2. The gas/oil mixture was going to be my next question. I've read 16:1 is correct but that didn't seem right to me. Maybe I read the article wrong. I'd rather foul plugs than burn something up. Thanks for your help, i do appreciate it.

Latest posts